changing cassette to make hills easier ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have the 2010 Secteur Elite Triple it has a 105 12-27 cassette in it, can I change it for another to make really steep hills easier at the start of the season & if so what to change it for.

Or is it more complicated that that and would I need to change anything else like the front ring.

I just want to see if it is worth it or not as I always seem to struggle until I get my hill climbing legs back.

Nearly there

Veteran

Manonabike

Über Member
If you have a medium cage derailleur then you might be able to go up to 11 -32 which should make a difference. A MTB derailleur would handle even bigger cassettes.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have a11to 28 tooth rear cassette on my 105 triple which made a big difference changing from a 11 to 25

Unless your carrying luggage I wouldnt go bigger than a 30 tooth. I am not a strong rider and havent been beaten yet on 30 front 28 rear.

potsy

Rambler
Phil, you could do what I did on mine and swap the granny ring 30t for a 28 or even a 26t, easy to change and very cheap at Spa :thumbsup:

OP
OP
phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Phil, you could do what I did on mine and swap the granny ring 30t for a 28 or even a 26t, easy to change and very cheap at Spa :thumbsup:

Cant do this as the FD-5603 front mech only allows a front tooth difference maximum of 20 teeth and it has 50 x 39 x 30T chainring on at moment so 50 - 30 = 20 which is the maximum and a 28T granny ring would push it up to 22 tooth difference.

I have also looked at the shimano tech docs online and they are saying that the rear mech can only handle a maximum of 27T and I am on a 12 -27 rear cassette at the moment so looks like I am stumped.

potsy

Rambler
Cant do this as the FD-5603 front mech only allows a front tooth difference maximum of 20 teeth and it has 50 x 39 x 30T chainring on at moment so 50 - 30 = 20 which is the maximum and a 28T granny ring would push it up to 22 tooth difference.
I have the same ratio and mine works fine Phil, those figures are probably conservative :thumbsup:

potsy

Rambler
Is yours a triple or a double.
Triple 30-39-50, now a 28-39-50.
You've seen how easy I fly up the hills now :whistle:

Top Bottom