Changing chain set and running gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Morris

Presently have Dalesman with 26/36/48 chainset and 12-32 rear cassette it's all Shimano stuff. It has done 7-8k of fully loaded touring miles. No problems at all with bike transmission feels good it's been well looked after. This May I intend to go up over Spain/Pyrenees and back home. I am a little bit nervous about my legs/age for the hills and felt I should change the chainset to 22/32/44. I have a number of concerns I need reassurance/advice about and I have to be carefull about costs.
1. Will the FD cope with the smaller chainset.(approx £60)
2. Would just changing the 26 cog to a 22 be ok and could the FD cope without a rubbish gear change(approx £15)
3. If I change the chainset have I got to change the chain and rear cassette.(another approx £30-40)
4 If I have to change the rear cassette will my RD cope with a 12-36

Lots of questions any advice welcome.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Can you provide the model code of the FD? It is generally on the back of the body and you might need a torch and sharp eyes to see it. If this is the bike's spec given the shifters the FD is most likely a road triple model, which will probably work but not too well with typical mtb chainrings (i.e. 44/32/22), because it won't be designed for the profile.

Changing the chainset does not give rise to a necessity to change the cassette or chain, unless they are worn which is really a different issue. You are most unlikely to need to change the RD, especially if it is a recent long cage (SGS) Deore, to cope with a 12-36 cassette.

Even at 90rpm at the pedals 26 front 32 rear is only 5.9 mph, and for 26/36 only 5.3 mph. Are you sure you need to change the front?

Top Bottom