Changing Freehub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
So I'm reasonably good at maintaining bikes, but I've never done this. Is it straightforward - the freehub on my planet x model a wheel makes an awful grinding noise rather than a nice click, and it is obviously loose. This has caused me problems shifting. Spare wheel on, all ok, but would like to get the model a back on - are freehubs fairly standard (shimano anyway?)

Thanks

wakou

Über Member
Easy, but you need a chainwhip, and a splined tool.

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
It's called a freehub body - a freehub is a completely different animal.

Make sure you get the same speed as your current setup and you will be fine.

You need a chainwhip, cassette lock ring remover, large adjustable spanner (cassette off), the correct size cone spanners (axle off) and a massive hex key (10mm from memory) to get the freehub off.

It's not a difficult job but make very sure you can put all the seals / rings / bearings / spacers back in the same order they came off!

02GF74

Über Member
you don't need a chin whip .... presumably that is to remove the cassette to gain access? also the axle needs to be removed so you need thin hube spanners.

Shimano I am pretty sure is 10 mm hex key. The bolt is standard RH thread - from the cassette side you undo the bolt anti-clockwise - depending on your hub, you may need to insert hex key from other side.

Yesterday I removed a freehub from Bontrager hub - so the above I know to be correct (the free hub has to be RH thread else it would be undo when you pedal).... so they can be on bery tight, so tigh that I think I split the hub - there is a crack in it that I did not notice before :sad:

Leaway2

Lycrist
I couldn't get the freehub body off my Spesh Secteur. Its a haaahuuge allen key and must have been put on by a gorilla on steroids. Took it to the LBS who couldn't get it off.
Bought a new wheel!

Top Bottom