Changing Freewheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotty1991

I am replacing a freewheel on a new wheel.

The freewheel before was a 6 speed 14-24.
Does it matter if i buy a 6 speed 14-28?
or even a 7 speed freewheel?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
General answers

1 - not really, unless you have a really short cage mech you will probably be ok
2 - It would fit, but you would be better changing the shifter to 7sp at the same time if you did so. Of course if you have non indexed down tube or bar end shifters then they would take 7sp the same as 6sp

It does really depend on what other equipment you have on the bike though. What bike is it?

Oh and other things, 6 speed chains and 7sp chains are interchangeable so no worry there, same with rear mechs :smile:

OP
OP
Scotty1991

Scotty1991

The bike is a Puch Prima, picked it up for a tenner and i am re doing it up, on the spraying paint phase at the moment, but when i come round to buying the new freewheel i didn't know were ever to change the freewheel to a different speed or just buy a new 6 speed 14-24 like what was on there before.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I wouldn't worry about which speed you get. It is very unlikely that a 6 or 7sp wouldn't fit so you should be ok. I'm going to guess at downtube levers so either speed would work.

I'd expect you would be able to fit a 14-28 to a bike like that as well :smile:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I wouldn't worry about which speed you get. It is very unlikely that a 6 or 7sp wouldn't fit so you should be ok.

It is true that it is unlikely a 7sp freewheel won't fit, but possible. Ultra 6 freewheels were not uncommon in the 80s for 120mm hubs, so best to check what the distance between the rear dropouts is. If 126mm all well and good, if 120mm you will have to respace the hub, redish the wheel and spread the frame if steel to take a 7sp freewheel.

A new chain 2 links (a pair) longer, if the current chain is perfect, is also necessary to accommodate a 28T freewheel.

Top Bottom