changing race bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfdude

Veteran
my wife has a ladies giant defy 2 and finds the bars to narrow for her . can i change them to a man size bars without changing all the cables as well . thanks

Kies

Yes you should be able to. I changed my Defy 1 bars for some narrower ones and the cables/shifters had lots of spare slack in them. Go for it

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
It can be surprising just how little cable is available once you change to wider or deeper bars, this may restrict the turning circle of the bike. I found this when putting different bars on my bike and had to change the outers but thankfully the inners had (just) enough length in them.

Because a) you will not get the levers off without removing the tape and b) the tape will almost certainly not be re-usable. And even if it is, it will have been trimmed to fit a shorter bar, so may not fit the new one.
I've re-used tape on different bars lots of times and when fitting new tape always use the whole length. But yes for the sake of ten quid or so new tape does always look nice.

I've re-used tape on different bars lots of times and when fitting new tape always use the whole length. But yes for the sake of ten quid or so new tape does always look nice.

If the tape has an adhesive backing, then it is generally not re-usable. Gel-backed tape can be used again. I have never used the full roll when taping bars.

Top Bottom