Changing Shimano STI shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blott's Mate

I have an old Peugeot bike and have just changed the 7 speed block & chain but the r shifter inner lever is loose & on the way out. I have just bought some allegedly good condition 7 speed Shimano shifters fm e-bay which haven't arrived yet. I have no idea how to change them. I know how to replace the gear & brake cables but what happens under the rubber hood is a mystery to me. Can anyone give me or direct me to a simple guide to replacing the shifters. They are different to the original ones so will need to replace both for cosmetic reasons.

jpembroke

Click down on to smallest sprockets/chain rings, remove anti-fray caps from cables, release cables, push them back through housings and see where they pop out. ;)

Basically, brake cables will pop out from a barrel inside the top of the brake lever (pull back brake lever and look inside) and gear cables will pop out from the side of the shifter, opposite to where the cable housing exits.

Again, make sure derailleurs are clicked right down first first.

jpembroke

Ah, good point. Sorry, misread your post.

Once you've removed the cables, you then have to remove the bar tape I'm afraid. Then loosen the STi using the recessed M5 bolt (it'll be hidden under the rubber hood) and pull the STi along the bars and off the end. Then put new ones one by, again, sliding them along the bars. Once in desired position tighten them up (same way as you loosened the old ones), re-tape bars and install new cables.

It's not a particularly quick job.

OP
OP
Blott's Mate

Blott's Mate

Did it! Well have changed the r one & used the existing bracket so the bar tape lives. Undid a bolt with a 5mm hex key & reused the bolt. Waiting for gear & brake cables in the post before I can complete the job & see if I have actually succeeded.

Top Bottom