changing to disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
(S)he is right though about brake forces, if you thinbk about it a disc brake stops the hub and the rim and tyre carry on turning, or trying to. The spokes take the force. A rim brake stops the rim and the tyre tries to carry on turning, so the force is between the tyre and the rim. The hub isn't aware of any of this, or the spokes. This is why rim brake bikes can have a radially spoked front wheel.

surely there is more to this than^^^

so your v-brakes stop the rim rotating - that is 300g ish. the momentum is low compared to that of the 100 kg of man/woman and bike that is hanging from the hubs and are connected to the rim via the spokes. There's is gotta be loadsa force in the spokes.

I know about the radially spoked whees (some rear ones are on the non-drive side) just trying to work out in my head how this fits in.

... but back to OP - if you have the mounts and the cash, then do it. I am in process of converting all my mountain bikes to disc, got one left to do that needs some special brackets made up but will get there ....

properly set up Vs works, even in mud but hydraulics discs are better in MO.

battered

Guru
When I say "under braking there is no force through the spokes" I mean braking force, not the forces associated with keeping the rider off the floor. Rear wheels have to be spoked the way they are because under pedalling the power is applied to the hub via the gears and is transmitted to the tyre via the spokes. This is why you will never find a radially spoked rear wheel, it would collapse as soon as you stood on the pedals. Front wheels with rim brakes can be radially spoked because you never need to transmit power (I include braking here as power, because it is) between the hub and the rim. The forces are those needed to keep the wheel round, not those needed to cope with the fact that the hub and rim want to go at different speeds.

RedBike

My road bikes rear wheels are radial spoked?
campy_zonda_black_rear_09_m.jpg

battered

Guru
Picture no worky.
There may be some clever layout that makes something close to radial spoking possible, I've seen paired spokes in special bosses, and after all there are motorbikes with cast alloy wheels that look radial, but for normal bicycle rear wheels true radial spoking can't work, whereas it can on frnts.

RedBike

They aren't radial.

They're not far off.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I'm going to give discs a try, after all. The opportunity has arisen to try some for cheap. £20 for Avid Juicy front & back; I just have to buy the discs, bolts and pads.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I'd use the brakes you have for now and save up for a complete new bike later down the line

I don't need a new bike! It's an immaculate 2004 Specialized Stumpy FSR; I'll probably get another ten years out of it.

It's got to be worth an upgrade to discs if I can do the whole job for £50...

Top Bottom