changing tyres from 35's to 28's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

Got a Trek 7.2fx hybrid on 700*35 tyres. Have got quite into the cycling bug and thinking of commuting 15 miles each way on it. How much of a difference would I notice going down to some 28's tyres eg gatorskin?

Would keep the 35's for rides on paths with family etc but change to the skinnier ones for road only. Or could I do towpaths etc on the 28's?

BSRU

A Human Being
Got a Trek 7.2fx hybrid on 700*35 tyres. Have got quite into the cycling bug and thinking of commuting 15 miles each way on it. How much of a difference would I notice going down to some 28's tyres eg gatorskin?

Would keep the 35's for rides on paths with family etc but change to the skinnier ones for road only. Or could I do towpaths etc on the 28's?

I have just changed from Vittoria Randonneur Hyper 38's to Continental GP4 Seasons 28s on my hybrid.
They roll the same,
the GP4's are slightly lighter, not enough to really notice,
the vittoria's were fine in the wet, hoping the GP4's are better,
the vittoria's started to show their age after 2,500km,
I had two visits from the PF with the vittoria's, again hoping the GP4's are better,
the GP4's ride is slightly harsher but doesn't take long to get used to, helps having a Brooks saddle.
I do not get any aerodynamic benefits from the 28's as there is a nice wide mudguard right behind them.

BSRU

A Human Being
[QUOTE 1392179"]
When I went from 35 to 28 things instantly became faster. I eventually compromised with 32s
[/quote]

I should have added, my average speed was unaffected by the change in tyre size, I keep logs which include my average speed and I cannot tell from my averages when I made the change. My vittoria's were kept at 90psi while my GP4's are at 110psi.

When I changed from my winter tyres, M+ 37c to the 38c vittoria's my average speed increased, like wise my 35c Marathon Winters were even slower.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
FWIW, I went from 32c Vredestein Perfect Max (@90psi, approx), to 42c Continental City Contacts (@ between 50 and 60psi) - there was no difference in average speed, but a huge difference in comfort. I'd not go back to sub 40c tyres on the LHT.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I changed the tyres on my hybrid from 35 to 28s, both m+. I little improvement in speed on the roads, but a big loss in comfort on tracks ;) I can use the TPT between Hornsea & Hull on my commute, but dont find it pleasant now on 28s, so tend to avoid it.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You'd notice a difference for sure but it depends on how you ride, and what you carry, as to how happy you'd be with those differences. I started on one bike with 35's, went to 28's, then 23's and back up to 32's. My weekend bike currently has 28s(mainly because they were on offer I'd planned on 32s) but I'd go bigger if I was carrying luggage etc. The commuting bike has M+ 35's and, if they ever wear out, then I'll probably go up to 42's for that bike.

If you take on a lengthy commute then it's worth thinking about the roads/tracks you'll use, if you'll have panniers, backpack, mudguards, etc. When I commuted 40 miles daily my bike could feel a bit sluggish in the mornings, or at the start of the week. By the way home, or the end of the week, I was very glad of the Brooks saddle, bigger tyres, plusher ride and puncture resistance offered by the M+. For me it's a no brainer, comfort over speed and, to be honest, I really don't think you sacrifice as much speed as you expect. Or maybe my top speeds weren't what I thought they could be :blush:

Top Bottom