Changing up and down under force

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

I was always advised that when changing gears on the MTB that it was always best to do this while not under tension, does the same logic apply to road bikes?

Origamist

Legendary Member
Lighten the pressure on the pedals when you shift, but keep 'em turning.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
All derailleurs work under the same principle - lower the force but keep the chain moving as it derails/rerails.

Gear hubs (on either AFAIK) are a bit different and on most you can shift up under moderate force but should lift off when shifting down. There are a few quirky gear hubs that need other dances but you'll soon know if you've got one of them!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I noticed on today's hilly ride that the chain on my CAAD5 will not shift down from the middle ring to the little ring with tension on the chain. I usually change down before I hit steep hills, but I tried to do a few on the middle ring today before deciding that I would prefer to spin a lower gear. One shift was really awkward. The second time it happened, I had to dismount to make the shift.

Tin Pot

Guru
Origami at has it right.

The worst road situation is an unexpected big gradient when you're in top gear and can't change down fast enough before it hits. You have to be well balanced and slowly turning the pedals in that situation.

lpretro1

Changing under force is probably the biggest single cause of the broken chains we see through our workshop...

midlife

Guru
Way back in the 70's I followed the bunch in a car hanging out of the window........ As they came to a hill the noise was deafening as they all changed down in readiness for the climb. Even back then without indexing you had to change in anticipation under light load :smile:

Shaun

Top Bottom