Charge Plug?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
any good?

I know it popular, i know its a big seller, and I know its common.

but is it actually any good?

I ask as I really want to build my own ss, but am struggling with frame choice to the point that i am close to giving up and trying one of these first, just to see if i get on with the whole SS thing, before investing in the "keeper"

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Heavy, previously reputed fo have easily damaged paint work (possibly only a certain years paint scheme, I don't know), but damn near indestructible. So yes, they are good, for what they are intended, being a robust workhorse of a bike.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Heavy, previously reputed fo have easily damaged paint work (possibly only a certain years paint scheme, I don't know), but damn near indestructible. So yes, they are good, for what they are intended, being a robust workhorse of a bike.

All of that is true. I have done some parts swapping with mine for aesthestic reasons, but over all the bike has taken some abuse (especially epic pot-holes) and is still running brilliantly. It's required next to no servicing apart from a one off wheel truing recently after 2 years ownership.

I ditched the riser bars and used some Charge Bowl bars, which make the bike a real dream for speed and comfort (It's faster and more comfortable than my more expensive geared road bike). I feel the urge to post a pic of it but I won't!

I'd recommend one, certainly; a random cyclist and I had a length conversation about them last week and we were both in agreement about the bikes simplicity, reliablity, comfort and speed, although these qualities are no doubt shared with all but the worst single speed/ fixed gear bikes.

I have heard good things from riders of Specialized Langsters too. A friend recently picked up a new Langster for £350 from his LBS, which seemed an absolute steal. They look like great bikes and seem to ride well too.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I commute, rural not urban, on mine, 40km a day. 2010 model it's my weapon of choice, I'm riding FNRttC on it in two speed mode tonight.I run it fixed or Sturmey S2C. It has tried to kill me once, and the toe overlap gets interesting from time to time. Paint is fine, ti railed brooks took the zing out of the back end and itm bullhorns with bar phat tamed the front.

May be selling it in the next couple of months, once I've built a Pompetamine disc brake fixed up. Last summer convinced me my commute needs proper 'guards and a rack and a bottle cage and that's a nono on a 2010 plug.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I commute, rural not urban, on mine, 40km a day. 2010 model it's my weapon of choice, I'm riding FNRttC on it in two speed mode tonight.I run it fixed or Sturmey S2C. It has tried to kill me once, and the toe overlap gets interesting from time to time. Paint is fine, ti railed brooks took the zing out of the back end and itm bullhorns with bar phat tamed the front.

May be selling it in the next couple of months, once I've built a Pompetamine disc brake fixed up. Last summer convinced me my commute needs proper 'guards and a rack and a bottle cage and that's a nono on a 2010 plug.

May take a look tonight...if I can make it out under all the ice!!

getinthevan

I reckon they're alright, and they look really nice, especially the plug prestige. The only thing that stopped me getting one was they don't make a big enough size for lanky mofos like me.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Nice to meet you Mr Jeez. I will be 'fixing' my Plug this afternoon. Stupid Sturmey S2C hub.
And you Sir.

good luck with the hub.....mine started to click again in London as we set off but magically cured itself somewhere around Croydon.

Perhaps take yours for a ride around Croydon, seemed to work for me!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
watch this space, will be ordering new rear wheel for the Pompetamine on Tuesday, and once that arrives I finish the build then the Plug is being sold, will be put it on here before it goes in fleabay.

Top Bottom