Cheap Dynamo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
Given it has a buy it now price of £5.97 for the bottle dynamo, all the fittings and two lamps then I would hazard a guess that it isn't much use.

I have used a Basta HR bottle dynamo with a Basta halogen front lamp which was okay but no great shakes. There was a small amount of drag and fair bit of noise and the light was a bit dim. And Axa bottle dynamos are supposed to be some of the best (to be fair I reckon it would have been good with a new LED lamp).

jimboalee

I might have a punt on this for a laugh.

In another thread, I described how I ran the Tesco torch off my Sturmey Dynohub on the BSA 20.
4 diode full rectification, lit up OK.:biggrin:

I've a Halfords Apollo Gents cast iron commute bike to use as a test bed.:blush:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Decisions, decisions! I can't think of what I want for Xmas so I said to my mum a spare light for the old bike. Don't want something that'll cost her a fortune, but I do want something decent. I shall have to make a decision soon, she keeps emailing me ebay links to lights!

e-rider

crappy member
this dynamo looks exactly the same as what my mate bought about 8 years ago. It did work but the wheel contact was poor and it slipped badly in the rain and wore out quite quickly!

I guess the price equals the quality in this case! My advice would be to save a few more pounds and get a better quality dynamo.

Tynan

Veteran
I've got a good/expensiveish bottle dynamo and front light on a shelf dong nothing, £40 from LBS if memory serves, six months old tops

you're welcome to it if you want it

Top Bottom