Cheap small cookset stoves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I was thinking of using an upturned pot or the frying pan as a chopping board...
LOL, I've done that in that past, but I can't say I like it much. I wonder if I can get my Dad to quickly turn up a suitable piece of wood into a mini-chopping board that will just fit inside one of my larger pans, it would be rather cute. Damn the weight!

Brock

I wouldn't fancy using an upturned pan for chopping. They tend to be a bit sooty (mine do anyway), and might blunt your knife?
A cheap small plastic chopping board slides nicely down the back of a pannier and really is worth its (fairly minimal) weight in my opinion.
Or why not get a Trangia Multi disc? Just the job :?:

I use a Trangia copy made by Sigg. It's stainless steel instead of aluminium, so is a bit heavier but much more durable. Woth the extra weight and space it occupies, in my opinion, for the stability and versatility. I never thought of using vodka instead of meths, but I suppose that is a plus point!
Pasta n sauce is a useful emergency standby - I always take a couple of packets with me in case I can't get to a shop after a day in the saddle - but I prefer to shop and cook as I go.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

well it just arrived in the post...looking good..nice and compact. I'll see what i can 'russle up' tonight as a test run.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...well it works very well I have to say...I cooked my breakie..porridge and a cup of tea....and dinner...Rissoto rice with kidney beans and chooped tomato sauce with garlic...and a cup of tea. Tasted good and nice and filling as well as being healthy. Ther eis a trick to this though which involves using the right pots in the right order so that you can have the rice boiling underneath the sauce with the frying pan as th elid over both pots....only thing was I had to wash up a pot mid meal to get it clean enough to boil the tea....fine in a kitchen not ideal planning on my part...I could have cooke dit all in one pot and kept one free forthe tea....but i was hungry and my greed spoke louder than my brain.

Top Bottom