Cheap wheels to see me through, Camagnolo Khamsin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ethan

Some oaf kicked in my front wheel, the set were on their last legs as it was.
Now I need something to see me through on my winter bike until may, when I can get the other bike.
I really don't have much money to spend, so I'm looking at bottom range stuff.
Having said that, I dont want something which will just last me a winter or two and end up dead.
So Im looking for some wisdom from you lot!

I was looking at Campagnolo Khamsin which can be had at Ribble for £92, which seems very reasonable to me. (will they work with sora? The whole thing confuses me as a newbie :laugh:)
I've also been thinking about the Shimano RS10, can be had for a bit cheaper but don't seem to get as good reviews.

Have any of you had a set of Khamsins or RS10s, how did they serve you?
any other ideas would be superb.

Cheers.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
just bought a set of Shimano R500's from merlin cycles for £75 and they look awesome to be fair, slipped on a Sram 13/26 cassette £11 off ebay and its a winner for me.

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
The Khamsins will be Campag fitment only, you'll want Shimano fitment. I got some Shimano RS10s and they are very solid and quite cheap.

OP
OP
Ethan

Ethan

The Khamsins will be Campag fitment only, you'll want Shimano fitment. I got some Shimano RS10s and they are very solid and quite cheap.

Had A feeling that might be the case. Thanks for clearing it up. I think I'll get the Rs10s to be honest. But its always good to have a proper look around!

OP
OP
Ethan

Ethan

Would I be better putting in a bit extra cash and going for the RS20?

Can you tell Im tight with the money? :laugh:

potsy

Rambler
Done over 7500 miles on my front RS10, never been greased, serviced or anything.
Still runs smoothly and with almost perfect trueness.
The rear one lasted just over 5000 miles before the freehub went, almost as cheap to get a new wheel as to repair, so did that.

ps- Is it likely to happen again? ie- parked in the same place?

yello

Khamsin's are "bottom of the range"? Blimey, they're my Sunday best!

But then, in fairness, my emphasis is on simply riding my bike rather than riding it fast, or lighter etc. Horses for courses etc, not that I eat meat.

OP
OP
Ethan

Ethan

ps- Is it likely to happen again? ie- parked in the same place?

Thanks for the input about the wheels.
No, it wont happen again If I have anything to do with it. It happened in a dodgy area which I dont visit very often! Next time I wont be taking the bike, thats for sure.
Luckily for me my bike is left inside, or in a car park with security. So really it was my own fault!

Khamsin's are "bottom of the range"? Blimey, they're my Sunday best!

But then, in fairness, my emphasis is on simply riding my bike rather than riding it fast, or lighter etc. Horses for courses etc, not that I eat meat.

They are probably the best of what Im looking at! I'd have loved to have a pair on my bike! Certainly not bottom of the range
I'm turning into a bit of a simple riding type. Going fast is always fun, but Im finding my self going along at my own pace and taking in my surroundings more often!

Top Bottom