Checking in at Dover port

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
@Andy in Germany thank you. That's how I understood things to be previously. Could you help me a bit more as I've struggled with this. Ridiculous I know.

We visit France a lot. Usually flying Manchester Nice or when the kids were small by ferry. We've always done a passport check. I don't think we have ever walked straight off the plane and in either entering France or the UK.

As far as I know I don't suddenly need a visa to enter France so why has it all gone so badly wrong all of a sudden?

The problem at Dover is that the French security/customs/immigration is all done on this side of the channel rather than when you arrive in France. Other cross channel ports such a Portsmouth don't have this issue

The problem at Dover is that the French security/customs/immigration is all done on this side of the channel rather than when you arrive in France. Other cross channel ports such a Portsmouth don't have this issue

That makes practical sense; the crossing is relatively short and frequent so checking people before they get on the ferry means they don't potentially bung up the ferry at the other end, thus delaying the return journey. The Portsmouth ferries have a longer journey and slower turnaround. Eurostar checks passengers for the UK in Brussels and Paris for the same reason.

Nonetheless, the need for more extensive checks is still a factor; it's just more noticeable in Dover.

The All Shorts YouTube channel has a summary of the new rules and visa requirements, and some of the potential problems.

It's from the point of view of a British Immigrant in France, but as he doesn't have French citizenship the rules outside of France are the same for him as other UK nationals.

There is some political bias because he isn't happy about the changes.

I wonder how many families who have suffered for hours in queues reach Dover and then navigate around the road circuit to reach a ferry lane, will have seen cyclists and been inspired to use their bikes for future holidays?

Top Bottom