Chester To Holyhead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hardrock09

Hi,

I am looking for cycle routes to do this summer, the route which is most appealing is route 5 which is Reading To Holyhead.

I would be looking to join the route at Chester and cycle to Holyhead.

Has Anybody completed the route before... is it worth doing?

Thanks

Ben :smile:

Calabos

Hi hardrock, I've never done this route before but have decided to do it this easter weekend. I can't wait! Its gunna be amazing!

I reckon you should give it a go to. If you dun manage to do it before me. I'll post here about my experiences afterwards and you can see what you think.

Caleb

mike1026

I have travelled this route many times to Bangor, it one of the best routes in the Country.
You have two choices on leaving Chester.
Stay with 5 or take the Dee cyle path.
You can find some info and directions at www.ncr45mercianway.co.uk Likewise The Cheshire County Council web site has some info, links from the previous site.
I prefer the Dee cycle path as it is very pleasant along the Dee Estuary. Watch out for the wind direction going from Chester the prevailing wind is a head wind and can be very strong.
The signposting at Connahs Quay is not that good, after you leave the cycle path go straight across a staggered junction this is not signed here but the rest is; or simply turn right and stay on the main road till you pick up the signs again past the Technical College. On entering Flint the signing is not too bad and if you follow it you will go past Flint Castle - good views.
On leaving Flint 5 is signed up into the hills above Holywell. Stay on the main road if you want to avoid hill climbs but there is heavy traffic.
Things get better at Gronant where 5 becomes an easy to follow off road paved cycle route to Rhos-on-Sea. Here you again have a choice as 5 is signed off the coast via Llandudno Junction into Conwy. A nice alternative is to go over the hill into Llandudno there is a new cycle path from West Shore with spectacular views. Through Conwy the route is adequately signed. You then have a nasty bit of the A55 to ride along untill that develops into a dedicated cycle walkers path into Penmaenmawr the cafe here is very good. The next bit is more difficult as you cross the A55 and then come down alongside it to recross it again this is not easy here! The bridges for cyclists that are in construction along here are incomplete because Wrekin Construction the contracter has gone bust. You can access Llanfairfechan via a gated path off the A55. Have a look at CTC North Wales for more and current info. From Llanfairfechan the route is delightful with some nice lanes moderate climbs and fantastic views over to Angesey or if you prefer Innis Mon. After the lanes there are some busier roads until after the entrance to Penrhyn Castle. An old rail track drops down from here into Bangor. Signposting through Bangor can be a bit confusing, but you should be able to get to the suspension bridge without difficulty. At the Bridge 5 joins NCR8 which in my view is much nicer than 5 to Holyhead. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom