Chewing During Touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

K...

Excuse the sorry effort to put some rime in the title...

In an average touring day, what are your eating habits?

How many proper meals and when?

What kind of quick bites do you use and how much of it?

Basic rules/ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot and let me say you've all been really helpful in previous questions.:wacko:

K.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Touring is normal food at normal times but more of it. That works up to about 200k per day. Beyond that you might be looking at more frequent, smaller portions and perhaps more consideration of what you're eating.

chris__P

I don't really eat proper meals when i'm touring, i just eat small amounts frequently. My diet is also decided by budget, so I eat lots of cheap food. Sometimes just bread or biscuits. Biscuits are good because they give me lots of calories for not much money. I stop and eat maybe every 2 hours on average. It gives me something to aim for (next food break in 45 minutes or next food break in 10km etc) Sometimes as a treat I have a packet of sweets or a bar of chocolate in my pocket and eat whilst I go along.

Obviously it depends on what type of touring you are doing, what your budget is and everything. You might prefer to eat in restaurants every night, you might have a stove, or you might be living on cheap supermarket biscuits like me :smile:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Usually muesli and fruit for breakfast, something bready or pastryish at lunchtime, pasto or rice in the evening. Lots of!

We usually find we need snacks in between. Biscuits are good for that.

And fruit. Lots of fruit. Warm places are often good in that you can pick it up cheaply everywhere, or even pick it from roadside trees yourself.

I have to eat every couple of hours when cycling.
Breakfast is usually porridge and toast ie complex carbs. Then a flapjack at around 11ish - more complex carbs. Lunch is usually a sandwich or baked spud and maybe some dessert :laugh: mid afternoon it will be sweets or enery bars ie more simple sugars to give short bursts of energy. For dinner it will be a balanced meal but definitely will feature protein to aid muscle recovery.

Top Bottom