Childish things you've done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
One product I sold needed to be stored in Liquid Nitrogen. Just occasionally I'd have some left in a container after a demo.

Poured out all over the lawn in the summer - hey folks there's a frost outside.

Cubist

Still wavin'
A mate called into my office and asked if he could leave his stuff there while he went to a meeting. I told him he was welcome and he left his coat and briefcase. In a moment of childish boredom I drew knobs on several post-its and hid them strategically in various books, documents, diaries etc in his briefcase. I found his wallet and building society pass-book in his coat pocket, so of course each of those had a post-it knob stuck inside. I then found a bunch of keys in his coat which had one of those plastic label tabs on. I took the paper from behind the plastic, turned it over, drew a knob on it and put it back in.

The other day he rang me to discuss a particular deployment issue, and then said something about "having a bone to pick with me, as he was still finding post-it note knobs all over the place" . Apparently the one in his wallet had made a particularly inappropriate appearance in the local sandwich shop. I asked him about the one on his keyring, at which the Neighbourhood Policing Inspector for the one of our more outlying teams went very quiet. The keys were for the Methodist Church Hall he used for a public meeting last week.............. :tongue:

speccy1

We get up to allsorts at work

Drilling a hole in the bottom of a brand new pot noodle has good results, it may mean waiting for a couple of days, but very funny when it`s victim comes along:laugh:

In the summer, the contents of a hole puncher in the back of somebody`s fan can be good - even better as we have a very stroppy cleaner (bless her!!)

Locking both toilets from outside:laugh::wahhey::laugh:, this can be done with a coin!!

A small screwdriver through the new packet of tea bags.......

And one which got me a bollocking, in our kitchen/rest room we have a white china duck on the window ledge. I drew an enormous pair of tits on it with a marker pen which in itself is nothing major, but, my boss went in there for a meeting with half a dozen people, he sat down with his back to the duck and everybody else sat looking at it and chuckling. He wasn`t impressed:blush::wahhey:!!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Asked a temp receptionist to put a call out for Mike Hunt over the tannoy. :wahhey: :wahhey: :wahhey: Three times.

Also left messages for folks to call Mr C Lion and gave them the Dudley Zoo number.

Another goodie was when you could get the number straight through to Buckingham Palace (and it wasn't a 'press 1 for this, press 2 for that). Got my work mate to ring and ask for Liz. :hyper:

gbb

Legendary Member
Didnt do this myself, but we used to have bowsers (maybe a thousand gallons)at my last work with a 6 inch outlet valve you coupled a pipe up to.
Because they carried meat slurry, they had to be washed out with maybe 50 gallons of water, then open the valve (slowly) and let the contents go into the drain.

They used to wait for some poor unsuspecting sod to come along, and appear to pull on the valve like it was stuck...

'Here Tony..give us a hand with this, its stuck fast'

Poor sod would give it a tug, of course it would fly open and dump the contents all over him :wahhey::biggrin::biggrin:

U

User169

snapper_37 said:
Asked a temp receptionist to put a call out for Mike Hunt over the tannoy. :biggrin: :smile: :biggrin: Three times.

I once worked at research institute where the tannoy could be used to put out requests for reagents if you'd run out; there was once a request for 6 foot of fallopian tubing.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In the early 90's I was doing tour management for a band called Celtic Frost, they were from Switzerland and were a 'death metal' band, the singer Tom was well known for not having any sense of humour and being a very serious chappy. One of the things he was known for was his 'death grunt's into the microphone. (a death grunt is a loud gravelly yell... HUUUUHHHH!) At the start of his set he would walk up to the microphone and do his death grunt. We decided to hijack the house mic which was plugged into the pa. When he walked up to the mic I did his Death Grunt just before he did. The look of astonishment on his face was hilarious. Another gig once again he did his death grunt, but this time I shouted afterwards "Oooh Betty!!!"... The last gig on the tour the support band during Celtic Frost's set, grabbed some brooms and started to sweep the stage whilst they were still playing.... Tom wasn't pleased.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I've come a bit late to this one, but we used to pull tricks on one of the guys in the section I worked in back in the 90s.

The best two were:

1. Filled his little umbrella up with the contents of a large hole-punch. He came out of his flat a few weeks later to find it raining and popped his brolly up - instant paper snow-storm on top of him in full view of everyone on the street.

2. Blu-Tack'ed the handset of his phone to the phone body and rang him up when he was standing some distance away. He came running over to try and pick up before the caller hung up, grabbed the receiver and promptly clonked himself on the head with the whole phone.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
There is a road near me called "Jurd Way".

I am sooo tempted to go there in the night and paint out the bottom curve of the "J" on the street name to make it look like a "T" :wahhey:

OP
OP
G

Greedo

XmisterIS said:
There is a road near me called "Jurd Way".

I am sooo tempted to go there in the night and paint out the bottom curve of the "J" on the street name to make it look like a "T" :wahhey:

Do it, do it, do it.

Things like that are good for the soul and will make you chuckle for weeks to come everytime you drive by.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
gbb said:
Acetylene bombs ;):biggrin::biggrin:
Get the (do not try this at home chillblains) oxy acetylene welding gear and a rubber glove. Put a mix of the gasses in the glove and seal it quick. Attatch a piece of paper towel to the finger, light paper towel and retire...quick.
BOOOOOOOM :rain::biggrin::biggrin:
We used to run around crying with laughter...side splitting stuff when someones in the workshop not expecting it :wahhey::ohmy::ohmy:

Another forgotten pyromaniac incident surfaces from the past.......

Your acetylene bombs were puny compared to the industrial scale (dustbin sized) ones that we made as undergraduates. The first one was the result of an underestimate of the magnitude of the fireball (10ft), explosion (diaphragm rattling) and degree of induced panic - half a street rushing out of their houses to see what was the cause of the window rattling, dog-barking and instant cessation of bird song.

For those wanting to recreate the effect:

One dustbin - preferebly metal.
Calcium carbide - standard fare for those who used acetylene powered caving lamps.
Water
One long taper or lots of matches to throw at the 'bomb' from a safe distance.

Fill in the method to taste.

A sooty orange fireball languorously rolling upwards preceded by a somersaulting dustbin lid is a joy to behold. :rain::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Coco

goo_mason said:
2. Blu-Tack'ed the handset of his phone to the phone body and rang him up when he was standing some distance away. He came running over to try and pick up before the caller hung up, grabbed the receiver and promptly clonked himself on the head with the whole phone.

Amateur. Glue is much more effective :wahhey:

I got my nickname from the variety of practical jokes I've played. Amongst my most memorable were:

In a telephone exchange there used to be two lights as part of some sort of emergency warning system (about 25 years ago). A white light that meant all was ok in the world and red light that only came on in the event of some civil catastrophe. You've no idea how much fun can be had by swapping two light bulbs.

Hiding someone's van around the corner when they've had a lunchtime drink or two.

Dead mice in the battery compartment of test equipment is always a hoot.

A colleague of ours thought he was a big cheese in the world of web site design and made his own web pages to show off to his friends in the call centre we supported. With a simple hack of the DNS servers we pointed his address to our site which was slightly less than flattering.

And I nearly got sacked for faking a letter from our discipline group after a colleague damaged a customer's fence. He passed it straight to his manager who then spent the afternoon with some other managers trying to track down the fictitious form I'd mention in the letter. They eventually phoned the
discipline group who asked who the letter was from. As soon as they read out R.D. Harhar, I was in trouble.

and I disgree with you Greedo. These pranks stay with you for life, not just a few weeks ;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I live near a River Hit. All the signs for it are now shaped to just fit the words on.

A colleague was once fault-finding in a big data acquisition rack - about the size of a wardrobe, full of electronics and cables. Unbeknownst to him, it had had an extra few bits added - a power supply and a wire-wound resistor that had been soaked in oil.
Apply power, await smoke. Panic ensues.
*snigger*

Top Bottom