Children Carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
What do you reckon for these?

http://www.weerideuk.co.uk/

Not convinced your knees would not keep bashing the kid in the back! although you can be a bit more involved with them and they are not in a trailer 1.5 meters behind you an inch off the ground..

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That kind of seat is common in the Netherlands. I think it's better than a rear mounted seat for smaller children. Knees aren't a problem - but you'll build muscle memory to ride like a chav.

I still think a trailer is usually better and safer:
http://www.londonskaters.com/cycling/article-child-trailer-safety.htm

leyton condor

Veteran
I had a similar but much simpler one from Italy many years ago. Brilliant when my daughter was very young, more of a sociable place to carry your child. Downsides were a slightly uncomfortable pedaling position, but ours got loads of use.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Thanks guys, I have been given a trailer, but I want one of these for the school run, so Junior Wigs 1 (9 years old) can ride bike and I can drop him off then ride junior Wigs 2 (just turned 3) to nursery then I can carry on to work, Only 2 miles ish in total but lots of junctions and busy roads so trailer not too practical for then, although will use for longer journeys.

U

User169

BentMikey said:
That kind of seat is common in the Netherlands. I think it's better than a rear mounted seat for smaller children. Knees aren't a problem - but you'll build muscle memory to ride like a chav.

In NL, you can get bikes that have an elongated "middle-section" so that there is more room for a front mounted seat hence avoiding frog-like motion.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Delftse Post said:
In NL, you can get bikes that have an elongated "middle-section" so that there is more room for a front mounted seat hence avoiding frog-like motion.

In Kent.......erm..... you can't. :biggrin::sad:

Thanks for the advice Mr P, I may get the cheaper Toys R Us one and use it till I can't (he is not the biggest 3 year old) any more then save if for Junior Wigs number 3.

U

User169

Wigsie said:
In Kent.......erm..... you can't. :biggrin::sad:

Thanks for the advice Mr P, I may get the cheaper Toys R Us one and use it till I can't (he is not the biggest 3 year old) any more then save if for Junior Wigs number 3.

OK, but it you feel like going to Cambridge, you could get one!

More practically, can't you just get a seat to go on the back? I've being using a rear seat since my daughter was 18m.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
How very dare you! two issues there!

1. I will never ride a 'mummy bike'

2. I will never pay £895 for the displeasure of being a man and riding a mummy bike.

Not sure now.... If I get a back mounted seat he will probably be warmer in the winter with me as a wind break.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Actually they are called granny bikes. I have many happy memories of riding an omafiets around Apeldoorn on holiday. In this case it was literally my Oma's fiets.

U

User169

BentMikey said:
Actually they are called granny bikes. I have many happy memories of riding an omafiets around Apeldoorn on holiday. In this case it was literally my Oma's fiets.

That's not the case for the Sparta Amazone I linked to. That style of bike, these days at least, is referred to as a "mummy" bike (or "moederfiets"). Sparta certainly use that designation on their website.

"Omafiets" would refer to a more traditional design.

U

User169

Wigsie said:
How very dare you! two issues there!

1. I will never ride a 'mummy bike'

2. I will never pay £895 for the displeasure of being a man and riding a mummy bike.

Not sure now.... If I get a back mounted seat he will probably be warmer in the winter with me as a wind break.

I often ride my wife's mummy bike; they are quite pricey though (but very well made).

Top Bottom