Chimney bank rosedale abbey...your experiences?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycling fisherman

For those who have seen or witnessed rosedale chimney OH BOY !!!

I was working for calor gas at the time and i took a wrong turn at the moor top and ended up coming down the chimney in a 18 ton gas wagon full of cylinders...

Then...

I read a few months ago with great interest that riders actually attempt this bad boy and i just could not believe it, I mean this is one seriously steep hill...

who has tried it ?
did you have to stop ?
did you beat the rosedale chimney ?

longers

Legendary Member
Hugo15 did it recently here.

Ash68 did it as part of the Ryedale Rumble a couple of weeks previously.

I want to do it but will have to wait till next year probably.

ASC1951

Guru
I saw the Milk Race coming up it a few years ago. Boardman's legs were going very slowly, the camera bike couldn't hold his Beemer on the brakes and some of the pros in the Peleton walked it.

ash68

yeh as Longers said. The Ryedale Rumble goes up the chimney after about 90 miles. I must say I was worried about the climb beforehand. I'd climbed it once before on a recce ride for the rumble. But on the day of the ride I eased off the gas about 5 miles before the climb. This gave me enough reserves to get up the climb no prblem. It is steep and very challenging for an average rider like myself. I was using a 30 chainring with a 27 sprocket. One bloke going ip the climb the same time as me was on a 42 chainring. Respect to him!!! My only advice is to take it staedy at the bottom, get into a low gear with a good cadence and just pedal away. The left hand hairpins need to be taken on the right hand side of the road , so it helps if there are no cars coming down when you areach this point. Once you get over the hairpins the gradient eases and you can savour the glory and know that you are over the worst. Give it a go, the suffering is well worth it!!

OP
OP
cycling fisherman

cycling fisherman

ASH I SALUTE YOU OR ANY OTHER HUMAN WHO CAN CONQUER THE CHIMNEY !!

WELL DONE !!

(I am currently moving over from MTB commuter to road bike/fixed wheel hobbyist and hope to one day, maybe late on next year conquer the chimney)

One of my friends did it last week on 30-27 and said it was 'eye watering'

They also sent me a couple of pics:
DSCF2155.JPG

and

032100r.jpg

No ta! :sad:

Fiona N

Veteran
fossyant said:
30-27 eek - bet you could walk faster !

I often think this when going up steep hills on the "Speedmachine" (hmm!) at 5kmph

I find the steep bits around my neck of the woods quite bad enough without searching out more and this looks horrible :laugh:

Leadlegs

Kirstie said:
They also sent me a couple of pics

Kirstie,

Looks like your friends found it harder than they thought and it scrambled their brains. The photo of the sign is genuine and is what greets the rider in search of lactic acid burns at the bottom of the climb. The scenic photo is impressive, but it's not Chimney Bank, at least not the road that I've ridden up.

Ok I'll tell them that their brain is fried. I'm sure they'd appreciate it...:biggrin:
Actually it's possible that I misinterpreted the picture as one of chimney bank, whereas it could be another climb in the N York moors that occured on the same ride. I've never ridden there myself.

Top Bottom