Which would you choose

• Giant Defy 4 Triple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Specialized Sectour Triple

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Giant Rapid 3

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I want a triple with a relaxed geometry - max £650 - any others i can add to the list

Cheers CC'ers

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Cant believe that nobody has any views on these 3 bikes

Oh we have views, we also have work to do lol:thumbsup:

I'd have the Rapid 3 as I don't like drops (ATM) but I would change the tyres to 28s or 32s.....

What do you want the bike to do? (Where to ride etc)

OP
OP
J

jowwy

i do like the look of the rapid as i'm not loving the drops either it will be riden on the roads and full tarmaced cycle tracks - riding my felt hybrid on the commute at the moment which is circa 15kilos with a triple upfront - but i like the better braking ability from the V's

but also my roadie although only a few 50milers done is a raliegh sprint, upgraded carbon forks, wheels and brakes - but even at circa 10kilos it still doesnt feel quick or sprightley.....

i am thinkin the rapid with flats, triple up front and 28's will do the job of the commute and keep the roadie for the charity rides and the felt for the winter towpath's and trips to parents with comfy 37's on it

Norm

I went for a Secteur over a Defy for a couple of reasons.

In the Defy's favour was slightly better spec (this was 2010MY) and both of my previous bikes were Giants. Conversely, I thought the Secteur looked sweeter and the geometry was slightly more relaxed to allow space for, being blunt, my excessive paunch.

The thing that swung it, though, was that my local Giant stockist wouldn't let me take it out of the shop, whereas the local Spesh stockist told me to take it out for as long as I wanted and to bring it back "later".

Which brings me (almost) neatly to the main point. Without knowing what size you are (body:legs ratio, torso length, reach, weight etc), where you ride, what you plan to ride for and how long, it's difficult to suggest anything beyond "Get a test ride". There's only one person who knows what is comfortable for you and that is, unfortunately, you.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I went for a Secteur over a Defy for a couple of reasons.

In the Defy's favour was slightly better spec (this was 2010MY) and both of my previous bikes were Giants. Conversely, I thought the Secteur looked sweeter and the geometry was slightly more relaxed to allow space for, being blunt, my excessive paunch.

The thing that swung it, though, was that my local Giant stockist wouldn't let me take it out of the shop, whereas the local Spesh stockist told me to take it out for as long as I wanted and to bring it back "later".

Which brings me (almost) neatly to the main point. Without knowing what size you are (body:legs ratio, torso length, reach, weight etc), where you ride, what you plan to ride for and how long, it's difficult to suggest anything beyond "Get a test ride". There's only one person who knows what is comfortable for you and that is, unfortunately, you.

hi there NORM

5ft 10 - 15stone

its either going to be used for the 15 mile each way commute on full tarmac cycle track or it will be used as the 40/50 mile weekend best bike and for charity events of circa 100 mile

which is why i am a tad confused - do i keep using the heavier felt for the commute with flat bars and V brakes and get a nice new fast roadie i.e defy or sectour

or do i go for the quicker, lighter, triple, flat barred rapide 3 as the commuter and put the felt back to winter duties and big comfy tyres

Norm

I've an inch and 4 stone on you then. :blush:^_^

I would get a very different bike to the Felt, otherwise you've just got more of the same. The idea of N+1 is that you have a separate purpose for each ride in your shed and you don't stand there scratching your head and wondering which one to take.

For instance, I've a Giant hard tail (for off-road use), an old rigid steel Giant MTB (for use around town), a Secteur (pure road bike) and a Tricross (commuter and the closest thing I've seen to a general purpose bike). Setting aside the Tricross, which could quite easily do 99% of the stuff that the other bikes do, I am never in any doubt which bike I want to take when I get to the garage because I know where and for what I'm going to ride.

If you got the Rapid 3, would that not be essentially the same as your Felt but for a component upgrade and a lick of paint?

If it was me, I'd get a road bike to complement the Felt. I think the right bike, with drops and a comfortable size and shape, will transform your weekend rides, especially if you are looking at 100-milers.

6ft 2, 15-16 stone depending on the tide:laugh:

For what its worth I have just changed my 28c to 32c on my hybrid for road/trail riding. Nothing wrong with the 28c but I noticed on a couple of bumps the rear could bottom out, and for my upcoming touring I felt the 32 would be better.

If you don't like the Felt/Raleigh but need to change then fair enough but I think what you are picking isn't that different to what you have already. Personally I'd be tempted to dip my toe into a MTB (hardtail) to do some different types of rides and upgrade the Felt to a standard you are happy with?

The decision, as they say, is yours:blush:

Top Bottom