Cholesterol test kits - any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Monsieur

Want to keep a check on mine - I know I can go to my GP and get it done free but it's such a hassle getting through to the 'appointments team' then fitting in with the nurse who only works part time....

Looked in boots today and then checked reviews on their website and their kit doesn't come out too well. Neither do the several on amazon.

Anyone used one before and can recommend one?

thumb2.gif

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I bought one from Lloyd pharmacy where you have to prick your finger and and place a sample of blood on the strip of the unit. It only gives you a basic measure. My first test result was dangerously high and my next time I thought I was dracula with the reading on the gadget quite low. Sorry for the lack of esorteric medical language but save your money and have one done by the right people.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I suffer from Familial Hypercholesterolemia, which requires lifelong treatment, and annual visits to a lipid clinic. Therefore I like to think I'm something of an expert.

My advice is to go to the docs!

There's different types of test available. The tests supermarkets offer for free in conjunction with people selling cholesterol reducing products are generally basic overall cholesterol levels. What the medical establishment takes from the different cholesterol readings has changed over time. You'd be best going for the more detailed (and more expensive) test from the GP where they will look at the levels of the different types of cholesterol, triglycerides etc. I don't know what these mean in reality or what the relevance is but the GP would be a better place to start.

ushills

Veteran
Go to the GP you will want to know your HDL,LDL and triglycerides for a full picture.

Also if any are high they will carry out a heart risk assessment.

PK99

Legendary Member
I suffer from Familial Hypercholesterolemia, which requires lifelong treatment, and annual visits to a lipid clinic. Therefore I like to think I'm something of an expert.

My advice is to go to the docs!

Seconded!

Also, repeating the advice of my Consultant, if it is high don't get overly hung up about diet, other than eating a generally heart-healthy diet. High cholesterol is more related to genetics than diet.

Top Bottom