Choosing Stem Length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm thinking of buying an On-One Pompetamine. The sizing guide is suggests that if you are 5'9" to 6'1" buy a Large, if you are 6' 0" to 6'4" buy an Extra Large. As I'm 6'1" and a bit I'm going for the Extra Large.

But what should I consider when deciding what size stem length to go for? The stems available to choose from on their website range from 60mm to 130mm.

Should I just be thinking about which stem length results in the most comfortable position on the bike for me - and therefore should I really get measured for the bike (which looks like it involves travelling to their showroom in Rotherham to do so)?

Or is the stem length more to do with the feel of the handling? In which case I would probably choose a stem length in the middle of the range available (say 100mm), and see how I get on with that.

I believe that I've read somewhere that a shorter stem is responsive, and so provides more manoeuvrability (suitable for MTB for exmple), whilst a longer stem provides greater stability (possibly more suitable for touring?). Does that seem correct?

Thanks in advance for any guidance given.

Stu.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Welcome Stuart,

I'm no expert but I would strongly suggest that you sit on the bike before you buy it, and go for a brief spin as well.

Good luck.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If travelling to their showroom in Rotherham is feasible it's a no-brainer. You will have to live with the bike for a long time and a good fit can make the difference between comfort and misery.

On the other hand, should it be impractical to do the journey a replacement stem won't break the bank if what you choose isn't right, but the bike fit will be worth the effort.

C

chillyuk

How we used to do it in the good old days. Once the saddle is correctly set up, with your elbow against the nose of the saddle your outstretched hand should just touch the handlebars near the stem.

I have been recently reading about bike setting up and one way I have not heard before is that with your hands on the brake hoods (assuming using drops) then your handlebars should obscure your view of your front wheel hub. If your bars appear in front of the hub then a shorter stem is needed and if the bars appear behind the hub then obviously a longer stem is needed.

As with all bike fitting it is all down to suck it and see in the end. What works for you is all that really matters.

mightyquin

I'm very confused about all this bike sizing stuff! I just tried those two tips, and it seems I'm perfectly sized up!

bennydorano

Veteran
I'm 6.2, bought a 58cm secteur sport last autumn and it felt horrible, ended up buying a shorter stem and it's a lot better. 6ft 1" on an XL seems wrong to me?

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I am 6'1" and just bought a 58cm XL Secteur Sport. I have no problems with the frame size but I do think that I need a shorter stem as I am not toally comfortable riding the bike on the hoods. I feel a little stretched and find myself preferring the flat part of the bars. This did not bother me when I originally test rode the bike, but then I only took it for around 3 miles. I have only done 15 miles on it since as am feeling under the weather. I should give it more time to get used to the bike, but at the moment I think I need a shorter stem. I could flip it to bring it closer but I have no problems with the height it is just the reach.

the snail

Guru
If travelling to their showroom in Rotherham is feasible it's a no-brainer. You will have to live with the bike for a long time and a good fit can make the difference between comfort and misery.

On the other hand, should it be impractical to do the journey a replacement stem won't break the bank if what you choose isn't right, but the bike fit will be worth the effort.

+1 if you're not certain which size you need, get over to the shop. Two people the same height might want different size frames. I've found that whatever size the shop suggests, I'm happier with the next size down, but that's just me. I'd rather spend more time and money and get the right size, and I would always go for a test ride, or at least sit on the bike. If you end up with the wrong size you will probably never be comfortable on it.

e-rider

crappy member
110mm

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Another method is...

Once you have your saddle setback for your KOPS (if you believe in that) your front wheel axle should be obscured by the front of the stem when on the hoods.

Top Bottom