"Chris Froome says cycling's code of omerta has been broken"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sure, but let's make it as difficult for them as possible.

I have no idea if it's already in place or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sky for one already have bag checks as part of their rider contracts. That kind of thing is quite common in many other walks of life - eg if you work at M&S.
Us offshore workers agree to not try to bring out alcohol, matches, lighters, open blades or any non prescription drugs out, but the bags are x rayed and hand searched every flight anyway, it is just accepted practice now. The understanding being you said you didnt have any and if it is found you are fired on the spot.

DogTired

Über Member
What I said in my OP was: "turning a blind eye and/or not carrying out adequate internal checks". If it's not one, it must be the other.

But you also said:

And I don't believe those three were the only dopers at the Giro.

So clearly you dont believe the UCI drug testing is adequate either, even though its compliant with the WADA world anti-doping code. Exactly, and be really specific, what extra UCI/internal checks do you believe would be adequate? How would you change the World anti-doping code as a result?

The whole world runs to an 'as low as reasonably practical' approach on the basis that its nigh impossible to eliminate anything. Nothing ever gets eliminated or put to zero.

You should forward both your suspicions to the UCI and WADA, naming the riders and the reasons why you believe they were doping plus the analytical methods you would use to prove it and stop it in the future.

Certainly its something I'd be interested in reading as opposed to the taboid like mentality of 'someone did well at a bike race, and hey, we know they all take drugs and cheat.'.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
So clearly you dont believe the UCI drug testing is adequate either

See my sig.

Certainly its something I'd be interested in reading as opposed to the taboid like mentality of 'someone did well at a bike race, and hey, we know they all take drugs and cheat.'.

Not even close to what I've said. Quite insultingly wide of the mark, actually.

As you said, even the best testing regime isn't perfect. Ergo, some dopers will slip through the net. Ergo, there's always room for improvement in anti-doping procedures. That's a long, long way from being a direct accusation against specific individuals.

Simple fact: Santambrogio was in possession of EPO while he was at the Giro with his team. That is unacceptable.

DogTired

Über Member
See my sig.

Not even close to what I've said. Quite insultingly wide of the mark, actually.

As you said, even the best testing regime isn't perfect. Ergo, some dopers will slip through the net. Ergo, there's always room for improvement in anti-doping procedures. That's a long, long way from being a direct accusation against specific individuals.

Simple fact: Santambrogio was in possession of EPO while he was at the Giro with his team. That is unacceptable.

Nope. Recognising the limitations of drug testing means that some dopers, if there are any, may slip through the net. You were pretty specific in saying:

And I don't believe those three were the only dopers at the Giro.

So either you have specific information and proof relating to specific riders or you're making an unjustified sweeping statement. If it's not one, it must be the other.

I like the bit where if its suggested your comments have a tabloid like mentality (which they do) - then that's insulting, but your sig on the UCI (which incidentally fails to mention anything about their WADA compliant drug testing) says:

"The UCI are terrorists, clowns and liars. They are no different to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi. The UCI have carnal knowledge of pigs."

Opinionated but not informative. A bit tabloidy again.

With regard to your simple fact on Santambrogio being in possession of EPO while at the Giro with his team. Well, no-one's said this. He tested positive for EPO on the first day of the Giro - that's unacceptable, he got caught, sacked and banned. No-one's said he was in possession at the Giro with his team.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Recognising the limitations of drug testing means that some dopers, if there are any, may slip through the net.

Given that testing isn't perfect, what is the probability that the testers caught 100% of dopers at the Giro?

Serious question and I'd like a serious answer if anyone knows it.

"The UCI are terrorists, clowns and liars. They are no different to Colonel Muammar Gaddafi. The UCI have carnal knowledge of pigs."

Opinionated but not informative. A bit tabloidy again.

FFS. It's a joke. Isn't that obvious? Read up on Landis for context.

With regard to your simple fact on Santambrogio being in possession of EPO while at the Giro with his team. Well, no-one's said this. He tested positive for EPO on the first day of the Giro - that's unacceptable, he got caught, sacked and banned. No-one's said he was in possession at the Giro with his team.

He tested positive on the first day of the Giro, therefore he must have taken it fairly recently before that. I was under the impression that EPO is only detectable for 24hrs but I've just checked and it seems to be actually three days. Fair enough, I got that wrong. But even so, he must have had the EPO in his possession within a couple of days of the start of the Giro.

Now, the next question is: when did the team get together for the start? How soon before the race starts do they meet up? Again, serious question because it determines whether or not he had the stuff in his possession when he was with the team.

VamP

Banned
He tested positive on the first day of the Giro, therefore he must have taken it fairly recently before that. I was under the impression that EPO is only detectable for 24hrs but I've just checked and it seems to be actually three days. Fair enough, I got that wrong. But even so, he must have had the EPO in his possession within a couple of days of the start of the Giro.

I believe I read 'somewhere' that a lot of EPO produced now has a marker added to it, which makes it detectable for much longer (2 weeks+?). So if Santambrogio went online shopping, he might have got that wrong as well.

Just speculatin'.

*goes off source checking*

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I believe I read 'somewhere' that a lot of EPO produced now has a marker added to it, which makes it detectable for much longer (2 weeks+?). So if Santambrogio went online shopping, he might have got that wrong as well.

Fair enough. If that's true, it does make the "acting alone" line more plausible.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
On a separate tangent, are we assuming that the blood bags are not being used, mid-race at least, any more?
Too risky in the light of recent events, too hard to hide, refrigerate, deliver and trickier to manipulate the blood values? In Lance's pomp, and since, the EPO was only used to balance out the reticulytes IIRC but stand to be corrected.

thom

____
On a separate tangent, are we assuming that the blood bags are not being used, mid-race at least, any more?
Too risky in the light of recent events, too hard to hide, refrigerate, deliver and trickier to manipulate the blood values? In Lance's pomp, and since, the EPO was only used to balance out the reticulytes IIRC but stand to be corrected.
Dunno - I could imagine that a sustained daily replenishment in small quantities ( 50 -> 100 ml say) might have less detectable effects and be easier to administer than a full bag. I just wouldn't put it past a couple of old dopers, one who is a DS and another the GC candidate, from giving it a go if they can find a suitable place to inject...

Top Bottom