Chris Walker Cycle Challenge - 9 July 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
The website still shows details of last year's event, but their FB page now shows the date for 2011.

Last year I was nearby so it was an easy decision to participate,
I did the 85 miler, walked up all the really steep bits (<20/%), the weather was diabolical, I was second to last person to return to Keswick.

Am I going to do it again ? OF COURSE !

The 85 mile route includes Honister, Hardknott & Wrynose, and Kirkstone passes....
There are shorter routes: 22 miles & 43 miles, which also go over Honister and (I Think) the Newlands and Whinlatter respectively to return to Keswick.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Website now updated...but still no entry form.

Believe me, this is one worth doing...... if you dare.

PMB

I did the short version last yr but hope to do the longer one this year. It really is a very tough route, but very well run considering it's free!!

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
I did the short version last yr but hope to do the longer one this year. It really is a very tough route, but very well run considering it's free!!

Not any more ... you have to pay in 2011 !

22 mile Route Option £5.00 (No broomwagon or feed stops provided)

43 mile Route Option £6.00 (1 feed stop at the halfway point included)

85 mile Route Option £7.00 (2 feed stops and broomwagon included)

I think that probably qualifies under most people's definition of good value.

The entry form is open on their website - but it is "pay on the day".

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Anyone else planning to do this ?
Fingers crossed that this weather stays around for another week - views are utterly fab if so, and dry roads would make the descents slightly less buttock-clenching.

sportsunday

Sportsunday will be there, All money from photo sales will be donated. Everyone last year said what a good do!!
Go on you know you want to.

Alun

Guru
Anyone else planning to do this ?
Fingers crossed that this weather stays around for another week - views are utterly fab if so, and dry roads would make the descents slightly less buttock-clenching.

Yes I'm doing the 43 mile version this year. I did the 85 miler last year but it was too much for me, 85 miles is one thing but over those hills :wacko:

Alun

Guru
I'm doing the long route. I'm slightly concerned about my ability to get over the hills.

It is a very hard ride, and if you are concerned about the hills then it's a safe bet you will have to push for some of them, check the distance and ascent against what you have done before. You could always change your mind and do the medium route instead, the weather forecast isn't brilliant at the moment.

Waspie

Über Member
It is a very hard ride, and if you are concerned about the hills then it's a safe bet you will have to push for some of them, check the distance and ascent against what you have done before. You could always change your mind and do the medium route instead, the weather forecast isn't brilliant at the moment.

I realise I'm in for a tough day. I'm fine with that sort of distance usually, not sure what the total ascent is?

It's more the gradients I'm worried about, don't want to walk, kind of stubborn that way!

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Wow !
Sunshine all day in the Lakes !

What a fabulous round this is - possibly the best 85 mile loop in England. I managed to ride the Honister and The Struggle this year, probably need to lose about another stone before next year if I am to avoid walking the Hardknott and the Wrynose again.

Crossers

I realise I'm in for a tough day. I'm fine with that sort of distance usually, not sure what the total ascent is?

It's more the gradients I'm worried about, don't want to walk, kind of stubborn that way!

The total climbing over the 85 mile route is just over 10000 ft... That's a 3rd of the way up Everest!!!!!

How did you get on Waspie? Any walking?

PpPete I am counting on you to ride the whole route on two wheels next year..:thumbsup:

Many Thanks to all who attended. The weather was first class and so was all the competitors..

Waspie

Über Member
Had a good day, first time I've been in the Lakes since I was a child, forgot how picturesque it is.

That was a tough cycle. I realised that my aim of not walking might be a tad ambitious half-way up the Honister climb!
Made it up that one without walking though. Hardknott was a different matter, had to walk at the hairpins, managed to get back on the bike after that and made it up the stupidly steep ramp at the end. Didn't find the Wrynose too bad (comparitively speaking!) but thought The Struggle was hellish. Made it round the last bend but just didn't have anything left in the legs to get up the last ramp, so had to walk that.

These hills really are on a different level to anything I'd tackled before, I've managed to drag myself up anything I've encountered in Scotland on a 39tooth chainring, changed to a 34 for this which was a good idea!

Some of the descents were terrifying :ohmy: Glad it was dry.

Great event overall. I may be back next year once I've forgotten how hard it was.

Top Bottom