Christmas bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
In the 80's, when were learned what being hard up was, my project was to find a bike for our 4+ year old. Reduced to renovating an abandoned bike. My how we were skint.

This could turn into a Monty Python sketch.

But, when I were about 3 or 4, I was given a tricycle. Not sure if it was new or renovated, but always thought it was new. However, when I grew out of it, my dad painted it up and gave it to my young brother. Alas within the year, the frame snapped and my brother had a spill and was bikeless.

Strange though, I progressed through many two wheelers to the cyclist I am now. But my brother, although he did have more bikes, never became an enthusiastic cyclist. I wonder now if the trike fail had anything to do with his lack of enthusiasm for bikes.

OP
OP
bruce1530

bruce1530

Guru
My brother-in-law was recounting yesterday about, when a child, receiving a "new bike" on Christmas morning, and the paint was still tacky.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bought this second hand for my kid. As I was walking out of the seller's house with it a little girl came out of the lounge and, looking slightly crestfallen, asked her dad why I was taking her bike away. So I told her that my little boy was going to have it for Christmas and would really love it. I promised her I would ask him to take really good care of it and she gave me a big smile and seemed happy with that and I felt all Christmassy and warm inside.

A few of the usual dinks but it's in really good overall condition and obviously well looked after. He was a bit uncertain with it today and decided to go back to his balance bike so I'm going to let him choose between the two until he's more confident.

20221226_182618.jpg

In 'the old days' I always spotted loads of new bikes out on the pavements on Christmas day

this year I have seen pretty much none at all - a couple of electric scooters but no kids on bikes

worrying!

classic33

Leg End Member
One of the first items to be returned shortly after purchase, whatever the time of year. But at this time we'd expect half of what were sold to be brought back.

We'd then the issue of correcting the mistakes in construction out of the box, on top of the faults they arrived with in the box. Those that couldn't be repaired to a safe rideable state, were built up for shop display or scavenged for parts. Usually nuts and bolts, or sometimes axles.

Instructions were never very clear, and not always in build order.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The neighbours opposite, who splashed a load of cash re-decorating a newly-decorated house, usually buy expensive presents for their children that appear to get used a couple of times then put away.

This time their son has a decent MTB. I hope he uses it.

Top Bottom