Christmas Cheer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well blow me (not literally!)...took the oldest to the local working man's club for a quick Christmas pint while Mrs Easytigers did the washing up - I did ask her to join us but she wasn't up for it...nothing unusual there (bugger...just got a crack around the head as she's reading over my shoulder!).

Anyway, I got the drinks for me and the boy and went to pay the bar lady..."On the house today, thank you for your ongoing support," was the answer! Not only that but the second was free as well! There was a bit of a spread on and the boy had his fill of pies (pork and minced!).

To say that I was surprised was an understatement! As far as I've been aware, the industry seems on its backside and there seems to be pubs closing all over the place.

I bought a strip of raffle tickets for a £1 as I felt bad...and won a bottle of wine! £1 spent = 2 pints of lager, a coke for the boy and a bottle of Rose for the wife! Result!

More to the point, it kind of restored my faith in humanity a bit. I'm sure the people at the club are having to answer for their profits to the powers that be but it seemed a real community event and everyone was full of (free!) Christmas cheer!

Just wanted to share!!! Merry Christmas!

Always good when you find unexpected wee things like that, and the warmth it generates will no doubt be repaid by continued custom. Win/win. Enjoy the rest of your day :okay:

damj

Yes good to hear. Taking my brother-in-law back home after christmas dinner we observed a number of locals now either rubble or housing developments what a miss these places are.

Has Mrs Marmion hacked your account?
For one day a year this is me
upload_2015-12-25_17-8-55.jpeg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yes good to hear. Taking my brother-in-law back home after christmas dinner we observed a number of locals now either rubble or housing developments what a miss these places are.

It's a shame that the people who miss them didn't use them more frequently to make them economically viable.

There's half or dozen or so pubs near where I live that are now restaurants, housing or have been demolished and redeveloped. I'd love to be able to drink in them again but I'd not been in any of them for a decade before their conversion or demolition. The loss is illusory.

The little independent places in the sticks, near where my mum lives, were like this. It's nice to see some pickled onions and cheese, and nibbles for folk who ventured out today. Personal service and a kind word are gold dust these days.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well blow me (not literally!)...took the oldest to the local working man's club for a quick Christmas pint while Mrs Easytigers did the washing up - I did ask her to join us but she wasn't up for it...nothing unusual there (bugger...just got a crack around the head as she's reading over my shoulder!).

Anyway, I got the drinks for me and the boy and went to pay the bar lady..."On the house today, thank you for your ongoing support," was the answer! Not only that but the second was free as well! There was a bit of a spread on and the boy had his fill of pies (pork and minced!).

To say that I was surprised was an understatement! As far as I've been aware, the industry seems on its backside and there seems to be pubs closing all over the place.

I bought a strip of raffle tickets for a £1 as I felt bad...and won a bottle of wine! £1 spent = 2 pints of lager, a coke for the boy and a bottle of Rose for the wife! Result!

More to the point, it kind of restored my faith in humanity a bit. I'm sure the people at the club are having to answer for their profits to the powers that be but it seemed a real community event and everyone was full of (free!) Christmas cheer!

Just wanted to share!!! Merry Christmas!

i bet that wasnt the "Hill" was it

My wife is watching EastEnders

Full of festive cheer

Top Bottom