Christmas competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
Can you beat Jimbo to the right answer?

I just bought a second-hand Islabike. Minor strip-down on Saturday (most things off and clean, didn't go bearing deep) but could not get the cassette lockring off - I guess it is cross threaded. SOmeone has clearly had a go before me 'cos the splines are rolled. Tried two different tools, but got some slippage so didn't push real hard for fear of stripping the splines out.

Anyway, before I go nuclear, any suggestions?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can you not bodge a QR spindle to hold the tool on....may need an MTB skewer (longer than road).....

WD is a no go, not near the freehub....

PpPete

Legendary Member
Aperitif said:
perhaps Araldite the tool into the lockring?

Sounds like a way to ruin a perfectly good tool on a component that's all ready fubar.

Sorry but I can't think of anything other than destructive removal of the lockring, maybe drilling a row of small holes across it and then trying to "split" it somehow. Probably not worth doing, especially if you think the thread on the freehub is damaged also.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
if the splines have almost rounded off and you don't think they are ever gonna grip, as a last attempt before you get industrial on it, try tin foil between tool and splines. you might need a couple of layers, and some gentle tapping from a hammer to wedge it in there. Applying downward pressure on the tool can help, ie leaning on top of it, to make sure it doesn't rise out of the splines.
I've used this on cranks. Its worked for me

NickM

Veteran
File (to give you two good slots opposite each other in the lockring).

90 degree angled adjustable circlip pliers (dead cheap from, e.g., B&Q).

Add a bit of leverage, and Bob may well be your father's brother.

Something like this , but preferably with a threaded adjuster, should do the trick

Top Bottom