Circulation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tomos

Hi all

I have got a problem with cold feet when off the bike and in bed. I guess that would suggest poor circulation but I would have thought that I had fairly good blood flow as I am putting in 2 hours cycling a day and have a resting heart rate of 43. (As as side note I don't have cold feet at any other time of when cycling.)

I have also noted that I don't seem to be able to produce the race winning blood vessels in my legs like you see with most serious cyclists. I wonder if there is anything that I could be doing exercise or supplement wise that might help to promote bigger blood vessels for the legs and warmer feet?

Cheers,

Tom

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Could be you suffer like me with this?

http://www.medicinenet.com/raynauds_phenomenon/article.htm

I do struggle in the winter , i am ok as long as the extremities are warm but when they get cold they stay cold for a long time and my hands can swell up.

Cycled to work 2 weeks ago and got soaked, my hands turned white and blue like the picture
raynauds_phenom.jpg

amaferanga

Veteran
Lots of people are borderline Raynaud's, myself included. I also struggle with cold hands and feet, but it has nothing to do with fitness. Just make sure your shoes aren't too tight, that you have good warm socks and windproof/waterproof overshoes. In the winter I tend to use Woolie Boolie merino wool socks and winter cycling boots (with overshoes on really cold and/or wet days).

As for the 'race winning blood vessels' - you might want to have a word with your parents about that. Its (mostly) genetic isn't it....

siadwell

Guru
have a resting heart rate of 43

That's a very low heart rate. Are you sure this is because you are very fit, or could you have an underlying heart condition?

"Bradycardia is defined as a heart rate less than 60 beats per minute although it is seldom symptomatic until below 50 bpm when a human is at total rest. Bradycardia may be associated with medical conditions such as hypothyroidism." http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Heart_rate

Pottsy

To agree with what's said above, a low resting heart rate, cold extremities and fitness levels are very likely to be 3 unrelated matters and therefore need to be dealt with as such.

I'd have a read about Raynaud's, check your shoes aren't too tight and get some good socks and over-socks.

OP
OP
T

Tomos

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

I'm fairly sure that I don't suffer from Raynaud's for 3 reasons:
1) My heart rate was never this low until I took up cycling and racing. (Used to be around 62 bpm)
2) I don't show any of the signs of Raynaud's. (I only seem to get cold feet at night and they warmup after 3 hours of so)
3) I hold a Pilot medical and I am sure that would have pick up any nasties as they where very thorough.
ohmy.gif

Thanks for your concerns!
thumbsup.png

Someone has suggested that I might be lacking Omega 3 as I don't eat fish. Anyone know if that might have any bearing on this?

cheers

Tom

lulubel

Über Member
Lots of people are borderline Raynaud's, myself included.

Same here. Worst for me is when I come back for a ride or run. As I cool down, my temperature seems to just keep dropping, my fingers go white and blue, and eventually numb. If I don't wrap up quickly enough, the only thing that seems to help is getting in a hot bath.

I never noticed it when I was unfit/overweight, so I wonder if it's also related to not having much natural insulation.

If you've lost a lot of weight or increased your fitness drastically, that might have something to do with it, even if the cause of the problem isn't Raynaud's.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Same here. Worst for me is when I come back for a ride or run. As I cool down, my temperature seems to just keep dropping, my fingers go white and blue, and eventually numb. If I don't wrap up quiqckly enough, the only thing that seems to help is getting in a hot bath.

I never noticed it when I was unfit/overweight, so I wonder if it's also related to not having much natural insulation.

If you've lost a lot of weight or increased your fitness drastically, that might have something to do with it, even if the cause of the problem isn't Raynaud's.

Have you looked at the link I've posted above, my sil suffers from rynauds and she takes the ginkgo with great results and she use to have it bad.

Garz

Squat Member
I experience similar problems and have put it down to genetically poor circulation. I now invest in gloves and winter shoes and is far more comfy on the cooler periods.

Top Bottom