Clamp on front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Are the clamp bands which attatch the front derailleur to the seat tube generic in the way that the derailleur clamps on to the band? Or do I need a specific brand of clamp?

I am about to buy a 105 groupset second hand to put on an old steel frame, and the steel frame has no clamp at current

ASC1951

Guru
I'm of a vintage where band-on derailleurs were cutting edge, after hub gears. The only difference between the various makes, so far as I could see, was that the better ones had a three section band and the cheaper ones just a single hinge.

But I'm puzzled by your question - the band was an integral part of the derailleur i.e. a single assembly. Not something where there is any choice.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Well regarding the 105 groupset I am buying, the seller said that the band/clamp was frame specific and that the mech/front derailleur simply bolted on. As the band is frame specific he is selling it with a frame, leaving me bandless! But I have some old front derailleurs I should be able to nick the clamp band of, and want to know if this will work. I thought the same about it all being one peice - but apparently not

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Like ASC I am also puzzled by the question. If the OP is asking about add-on clamps to make a frame without a braze-on take front mechs that require one, then these clamps just come in different sizes for different seat tube diameters.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I was confused by what was said....I asked if it was clamp on or braze on and got this reply:

"Mech is band on but will simply bolt to your mech hanger with an allen nut. Its frame dependant so was selling the mech hanger with X frame which is a 31.6 seat tube and unlikely to fit a older frame."

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Sounds like the seller doesn't know what they're talking about, and it is a braze on mech after all. I think the clamps are generic, but pretty sure you can buy Shimano ones anyway. If your frame is steel you will probably need a 28.6 one.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You can also get shims to use a fat tube band with a thin tube bike. The better ones are eccentric so the mech chainline can be adjusted.
Try SJSC

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Sounds like the seller doesn't know what they're talking about, and it is a braze on mech after all. I think the clamps are generic, but pretty sure you can buy Shimano ones anyway. If your frame is steel you will probably need a 28.6 one.

This seems like the most likely option!

Top Bottom