Clapham South to Leicester square recs pls :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
Will be starting to cycle commute at the end of this week as I'm moving up to london.

So, what you reckon is the best route. Google's suggestions:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...sQtgV2SDEgcNElrFc76w&vpsrc=0&mra=ltm&t=m&z=13

OR

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...gcNElrFc76w&vpsrc=0&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=m&z=13

I'm not scared of traffic, but happy to have suggestions/warnings/etc. The quicker (in at least) the better haha.

I'll be on a MTB as my road bike as seen better days...will have my MUVI Micro & a rucksack so please give a wave if you see me or say hi etc....

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I usually find that Cyclestreets makes good recommendations, as it takes cycle paths into account which may give you shortcuts that Google won't know about.
http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/1534629/

Origamist

Legendary Member
You've got loads of choices...However, it depends on how long you want to stay on the A24 and A3. This route is a Cycle Superhighway (CS) no less.

If you don't fancy the CS, I'd go over Clapham Common, Cedars Rd, Queenstown Road, over Chelsea Bridge, Grosvenor Road, Millbank, Whitehall.

If you want to turn off from the CS later (once you're through Clapham), you can do so at Stockwell tube (S Lambeth Rd) and Oval tube (Kennington Oval). Some people then go over Vauxhall Bridge, Millbank etc, others continue along Albert Embankment to avoid Vauxhall Bridge and go over Lambeth Bridge.

There are other options, let me know if you want more details.

I'll keep an eye out for you!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The route it has given you is a pretty good one, Vauxhall gyratoy is probably your biggest 'problem'. The quickest way around is to follow the road but some aren't comfortable doing this, you really need to control your lane. Others take the off road cycle route which is a fair bit slower.

There are quite a few of us that cycle along CS7 in the morning.

Origamist

Legendary Member
If you do want to stay on the CS as far as Stockwell or Oval, here are two sections:

Clapham North to Stockwell

Stockwell to Oval

The CS is clogged with cyclists, particularly in the summer, but it does have the advantage of bus lanes. Downsides: lots of side roads, pedestrians and traffic lights.

Grovesnor Road and Millbank are fast routes - known as the "race track"...

I personally avoid Victoria - but others prefer that route into the centre...

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Cheers guys! Will give it ago tomorrow after moving in and unpacking and everything. Then try out the options over the next few weeks :smile:

The Victoria route looks ok - I used to do the Victoria onward bit on the motorbike when commuting from Woking in Summer.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The top one or over Chelsea bridge, hang a right and up Grovesnor Road & Millbank :smile:
Victoria and the back of Queen Liz's gaff is a nightmare, IMHO.

Good luck!

StopsAtRed

I'd go across Clapham Common, Cedars Road, Queenstown Road, Chelsea Bridge, Ebury Bridge Road then follow the cycle route round Ebury Square, Ebury Street to the end. Press the button to get the cycle phase on the traffic lights to work, then a quick sprint round the one way system to Buckingham Gate. Past Buck House and up the Mall...your choice about the best way to get to the other side of Trafalgar Square.

AndyCh

Über Member
Welcome to London commuting. I've done this journey off and on for 10 years. Lots of options and things have changed over those 10 years, in particular the number of cyclists.

The Clapham Common, Queenstown Road, Chelsea Bridge option is good (because if you have time, or just feel like it, you can put in a lap or two of Battersea Park, which is a lovely oasis away from the commuting humdrum and traffic). I would turn right at the end of Chelsea Bridge and join the long fast run all the way along Millbank to Leicester Square. The road is generally nice and wide, although the cyclists are a pain!

Another good route with less traffic is diagonally across Clapham Common up to Clapham Old Town, Rectory Grove, Larkhall Rise, Larkhall Lane, Priory Grove, Hartington Road (one way for traffic, 2 way for bikes), then the cobbled Wilcox Road and turn right on to Wandsworth Road then to Vauxhall. You can then do Vauxhall Bridge or Lambeth Bridge (I do Vauxhall).

Word of warning, you do need to know what you are doing on Vauxhall Bridge, going North isn't too bad, but I recommend trying to get across into the right hand lane from the bus lane as early as possible and either hold a strong position in the lane, or if clear, use the southbound bus lane. If you can move across just past the crest of the bridge, all the better as you won't hold traffic up.

Going South on that bridge is a nightmare. The cycle lane is far too narrow and the traffic comes past very close and very fast. When you look over your shoulder (the commuter's best friend) you have to be so careful not to move about in the cycle lane, it is that narrow. If you can, use the bus lane in the middle of the road, hold your position and go through the bus station if you are heading for Wandsworth Road. If you are going around the Vauxhall one way system always, always cycle in the middle of the lane and don't be bullied by the traffic.

Hope this doesn't sound too bad, it is actually good fun!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Going South on that bridge is a nightmare. The cycle lane is far too narrow and the traffic comes past very close and very fast. When you look over your shoulder (the commuter's best friend) you have to be so careful not to move about in the cycle lane, it is that narrow. If you can, use the bus lane in the middle of the road, hold your position and go through the bus station if you are heading for Wandsworth Road. If you are going around the Vauxhall one way system always, always cycle in the middle of the lane and don't be bullied by the traffic.
You use the cycle lane southbound? You nutter!

I hold the first lane everytime I go over this bridge. can be a little hairy and i've had a run in with a few idotic drivers.

thefollen

Veteran
As a freelancer there are a few places I work at; one of which is Inferno in Great Queen St- faily close to Leic Sq. Here's a route from one time I ran home (don't seem to have captured a cycle trip on this route). Please ignore the slow time (legs stiff and annoying bag riding up the back). This is one way to do it, although nowadays I tend to travel this way to work and the route via Waterloo & Vauxhall back home. However, you can get a good race on down Millbank/Grosvenor road ;-)

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/uN__QnhZ9Do

<iframe src="http://www.endomondo.com/embed/workouts?w=uN__QnhZ9Do&width=580&height=600&width=950&height=600" width="950" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Top Bottom