Clarks cps240 cartridge pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having had a wet braking performance somewhere between 'omg please STOP!!!' and 'it's wet, I better leave a big gap' since shifting to a rim braked bike from a disk braked one, I am writing about my experience with my latest shoe\cartridge brake blocks.

I should state that I live at the top of a 4mile downhill which I ride every week day... since choosing to ride a caliper braked road bike over the disk braked mtb, I have been shocked at the lack of wet braking performance that is deemed 'normal'.

(Disclaimer - haven't used Koolstops since a pair on canti's about 15 years ago which also worked)
I know Koolstop brake blocks are among the best one out there, I know disks are always good and reliable in wet conditions. I also know my road bike doesn't have disks and koolstop's are getting quite awkward to find - if you do there is a price premium...so I have tried three alternatives.

Shimano Tiagra brake blocks - 9quid a pair. Shocking wet weather performance and what made me want to ride the heavy bike again.

I've had good experiences with Clarks disk brake pads so gave them a go - very cheap too...
Clarks brake blocks - 4 quid a pair - slightly better than the shimano ones, with a lot less black streaking on my frame in the wet.

Clarks pcs240 shoes and blocks....with a spare pair of blocks. 9.99
55815.jpg

so 2 pairs of pads and for less than a tenner and what can I say. They stop me. Going down hill. In the wet.
I have a spare of blocks and subsequent blocks will cost 4quid a pair. (Unless I want to use any other 55mm blocks, which may cost more, but why would I?).

Brilliant value and the best performance so far.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I might get some of these as I pick up my Specialized Secteur Sport on Saturday, and reviews of the bike state that the standard pads are nothing special. I will try first and make my own opinion. I had read about these pads I think it was in Cycling Active and they were rated best for the price in a group test. Do the pads fit in other blocks or do you need to get 2 sets of them at £9.99, just wondered if I could maybe get away with just one set and use the spare pads in existing blocks. Although I doubt it.

You can buy just the pads for use in 55mm cartridge shoes if you have them... (what is the correct terminolgy - cartridge holders with blocks that go in shoes or blocks have pads that go in... doh!)

I forgot to add that these have the clever washer thingy that lets them toe in against the rim by just slacking them off in the caliper, holding the brake and then tightening. No caliper twisting\bending required (which is just as well because I'd never risk it.). Also came with 2 extra sets of shoe\pad screws. One extra set of blocks, 2 extra sets of screws which is thoughtful because they are so small and easily lose-able.

On the basis of your review, I've just ordered some of the 72mm ones for my canti's - my Koolstops are coming to the end of their life, and, whilst they've been fantastic, I thought I'd give these a go, particularly as they were only £8 for 4 delivered from eBay (Monkey Mansion). That’s for the whole gubbins, not just the cartridges!

On the basis of your review, I've just ordered some of the 72mm ones for my canti's - my Koolstops are coming to the end of their life, and, whilst they've been fantastic, I thought I'd give these a go, particularly as they were only £8 for 4 delivered from eBay (Monkey Mansion). That’s for the whole gubbins, not just the cartridges!

Can't find them on Ebay or the seller, do you have more details?

CR is out of stock until 25 JUly

Let us know how you find them in comparison to the Koolstops. Everyone thinks the Koolstops are the dogs danglies and I have no reason to doubt them - but are they twice the moneys worth? The above Clarks were far far better than the oem shimano stuff...

Have them fitted to the front now, better than the BBB ones fitted

Let us know how you find them in comparison to the Koolstops. Everyone thinks the Koolstops are the dogs danglies and I have no reason to doubt them - but are they twice the moneys worth? The above Clarks were far far better than the oem shimano stuff...

Ok, I've run the canti version for about 200 miles now in a variety of weather and conclude that the Koolstops remain the dogs danglies. I haven't done any mathematical analysis, but running the brakes around my normal training courses, which are very hilly and require some serious braking at one T junction, I would say the Clarks are probably 20% less efficient. That said, my Koolstops are the salmon ones, not the 3 type mix of the Clarks. Certainly they would be good enough for commuting, and I'll be fitting mine to my reserve bike. The cost is immaterial when you're flying downhill towards a stop sign ...

DaveK

Old thread I know, but I would like to say that I have also fitted these to my road bike and they are worlds above the basic ones which came with my dual pivot calipers. Definitely recommended!

Top Bottom