Classic Touring Bike Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I am giving serious consideration to buying an old Claud Butler tourer in 531ST. Thing is, I probably wouldn't use it for touring very often. I am wanting a strong steel frame that isn't as heavy as my old MTB. I want to use it as a winter bike running 25 tyres and mudguards. My questions are mainly concerned with parts compatibility.

1. Can I use ordinary brake levers? I have some nice old XT II cantilevers but will they work with 600 aero levers? I don't know about cable pull ratios.

2. I'm assuming there won't be an issue running a double chainset instead of the more usual triple?

3. Following on, I'll just be able to use my current BB?

Thanks as ever.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Hugh Manatee sounds like a plan
Weight should be a bit lighter than an mtb for sure
Can't see any issue's with using those levers ok pull ratio ,ight be different but as long as you are happy with the action
Double will be fine with correct bottom bracket
And you should be able to squeeze 28 tyres in

midlife

Guru
You might have to put the blocks quite close to the rim :smile: the longer triple axle will most likely have to be replaced with a shorter one for the double. What cb did you have your eye on?

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
You might have to put the blocks quite close to the rim :smile: the longer triple axle will most likely have to be replaced with a shorter one for the double. What cb did you have your eye on?

Thanks @biggs682

I will be using the chainset and BB together from an old bike. It is a Dalesman.

Top Bottom