claud butler ?olympic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dougal1942

I have recently bought a claude butler frame, I already have 2 "lugless" cbs, but I saw this one for sale at an autojumble an couldn't resist it. The badge is unusual in that it seems to be brass rather than ally and only lightly embossed if at all. it is also unusal as it has a deraileur bracket on the straight dropouts. It also has cable guides for 2 cables on the bottom bracket. I have tentatively identified it as an Olympic model. I would like to find more about it as I have been a claude butler fan since having one for my bithday in 1955.
i have attached some pics in the hope someone knows more than I do.
thanks
doug

Attachments

• SAM_1210.JPG
    SAM_1210.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 9

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks like a nice machine that could double up as a single speed or a geared bike

midlife

Guru
Oooh, looks like a track bike turned into a 70's TT machine lol. I've got a Viner track bike the same :smile:

OP
OP
D

dougal1942

Not sure why but cyclechat has stopped me posting pis so here's a link

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=305375

Looks like a nice machine that could double up as a single speed or a geared bike

Hi,
yes youare probably right about it being altered and if you look carefully on the bottom bracket there is a small ref. no. stamped neatly . but i haven't yet decifered it. Whoever has done the work has made a professional job and I suppose a repaint was done atthe same time. Another thing is the lower stays are move out to accomadate the wider hub for a derailer. It also seems as though it should have 26" wheels rather than the 27" I have put on.
thanks doug

oldtel

Hi Doug,
you will find modern/vintage 700c wheels fit perfect, as that was the size of the 'sprints' that would of been used, when this frame was in its prime.

Thanks Terry

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Am I right in thinking it has round-section (track-style), rather than oval fork blades?

OP
OP
D

dougal1942

Am I right in thinking it has round-section (track-style), rather than oval fork blades?
Hi Ian,
yes they appear to be round section (nice to learn something new) with what I think is termed double crowns. I hadn't noticed this before and the holes for brakes look as if they have been in since new or at least done by an engineer. The attachment for the derailler on the track end also doesn't seem tobe welded or brazed on but I haven't inspected it closely. the paint job is certainly old and professional but may well be a refinish. I have had a short ride on it but I I need to put some brakes on it first.
thanks doug

Top Bottom