claud butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gibbo300

i am building up a claud butler "CAPE WRATH" frame that was given to me. it is a bare frame and i wondered if anyone knew what bottom bracket it needs to have with a triple. also what size headset. new to this game so sorry if they are stupid questions. if there is a website that i can use to get this info could you let me know.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Frequently the most detailed info that can be found about a bike is in a review, when available, such as this (detailed spec can be opened by a click on the right hand side). The manufacturer's spec is comparatively sparse. However, sometimes model spec can change quite significantly if it is made and sold over a number of years, so it is worth checking that such published info is indeed consistent with the bike you have.

Regarding the bottom bracket, what you need to know is that the bottom bracket is determined by the chainset as well as the frame. In this case it is practically certain that your frame requires a bottom bracket with English thread, and is most likely for 73mm shell width (which you should check by measuring the width of the bottom bracket shell with a ruler, if not 73mm it would be 68mm). Once armed with this, you should choose a mtb chainset*, which would in turn determine the width/type of spindle the bottom bracket should have. In other words, the thread, shell width and spindle width/type are the minimum information necessary to identify a bottom bracket you need. Some chainsets come integrated with the bottom bracket and use spacers to accommodate different shell widths.

Regarding headset, there are even more "standards" and minor subtleties than bottom bracket and is a particularly tricky subject to provide reliable advice. According to the above review the bike might need an integrated headset (see page 3 and 12-20 of this 30 page document on the subject). You obviously need to satisfy yourself that it is the case, but if indeed your frame is designed to have an integrated headset then it is likely to follow the 1 1/8" Cane Creek standard for integrated headset. You might also want to read this article to get a better understanding of the way it works.

Hope it helps.

* a mtb chainset is designed to work with a mtb front mech to have a chainline and q factor that suit a mtb frame and mtb rear hub

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
It's cheaper to buy a fully built up MTB and just refurb.

A nice Claud Butler Rock XC with 24 Speed Alivio just sold near me for £95

A build up on a 1994 Raleigh MTB frame cost me £157 and that came with forks, stem, handlebars and headset. All parts were cheapest I could get.

Top Bottom