Claud the Gate is Dead - Long Live Vince

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru

After work decided not to start C2W, and wrecked my plans of a steel Cotic Roadrat, I decided to buy a Sirrus or Flight. I soon found that there were none to be had unless you fitted a silly size.

After lots of searching, I found Wheels in Callander (excellent place) had a ’08 Flight T2 for sale. Besides a few scratches it was a perfect gleaming, black speed machine.

I off-loaded Claud the Gate to a new rider at work and the next day rode Vince to work. What a difference, like getting out of a Series I Landy into a sports car. I could never understand the fixation on weight until now.

The biggest difference is uphill. Some hills have miraculously disappeared and the most telling was up the Clyde Tunnel, where, as Magnatom will tell you, I was sloooow. I was averaging about 5/6mph up the tunnel, now it is 9/10mph. And remember only the chassis has changed, same tired old engine.

It is such a pleasure riding that I have increased my ride to work, moving off the tow path and onto the road so I can improve my average speed.

Top Bottom