Cleaning Rims?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The center pull brakes on my hack have lost all their bite and become all spongey, I'm already cleaning out the moving parts, resetting the blocks, cables and lubing the cable casings but I think the rims want cleaning off too.

I don't have any proper alcahol cleaner but I do have lighter fluid, would that do the job as well or is there something vital I'm missing?

Obviously not getting any on the tyres of course,:?:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd be wary of anything petrochemically, just in case it's unexpectedly slippery.
Don't think I've ever cleaned the rims TBH.

Soapy water and a green nylon pan scourer. Take a file to your brake blocks or rub em on a sheet of coarse sand paper which has been laid flat on a surface.

Check for bits of aluminum embedded in the surface of the block and remove them with a jibber.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Ah thanks mickle, I'll just nip and find my jibber......it is here somewh.......what's the hecks a jibber?:biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
Go into a chemist and ask for a small bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol. You will need to confirm that it is for cleaning bike parts, but the stuff is great for rims (also brake drums, etc). Obviously keep it locked up or in a high place if you have kids. And make sure you don't look like a heroin addict or an alcoholic when you try to buy it. xx(

Top Bottom