Cleaning Windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

Recently I've been having a problem with Firefox, in which the url I've clicked on is replaced by one which takes me to some dodgy looking sales/marketing type website. McAfee site advisor went bonkers, too - it kept popping up advising that an update was available (every few seconds) - so I've disabled that.

I run McAfee with firewall, daily downloads of virus sigs and several times a week virus scans. McAfee reports no problems.

So, I downloaded and installed and ran "Spybot - Search & Destroy" which found half-a-dozen problems.

I wonder why a) I pay McAfee large amounts of money for a thing that doesn't work; :smile: why I don't bite the bullet and run Linux as my main o/s (I run it on my web-book, and as an alternative on my pc)?xx(:biggrin:

Carwash

Señor Member
JamesAC said:
I wonder why a) I pay McAfee large amounts of money for a thing that doesn't work; :sad: why I don't bite the bullet and run Linux as my main o/s (I run it on my web-book, and as an alternative on my pc)?xx(:blush:

Sounds to me like you've answered your own question, mate!

From the thread title, perhaps you should consider installing this... :ohmy:

formbybysleipnir.gif

I had something like this,when I was in Thailand.Something kept hijacking my browser and redirecting me to some site.

I may have done a system restore unless I ran ad-aware.

Oh yeah as you say spybot is very good.

I had Norton Antivirus Corporate but that didn't stop the hijacking.

OP
OP
J

JamesAC

Well, I did a system restore, and ran the spybot thing. It seems to have cleaned things up for the time being.

However - I also took my own advice, and installed debian Linux on my pc!

I had already installed a second hard drive, so I wasn't too worried about partitioning the disk.

These are the steps I took:

Using a Knoppix cd (you can boot up and run a Linux os from the cd - nothing gets written to your system) I downloaded an image of the debian core. (You can get the whole distro, but the core downloads much quicker).

Also using Knoppix, I burned an iso image of the debian onto a cd.

I ensured that my pc was set to include the cd drive as a startup device, and re-booted the pc.

The debian install screen came up, and the installation package detected all the bits and bobs of my hardware (well, the important ones like keyboard, screen and so on).

The partition disks bit came up, and I selected to devote the whole of my second disc (/dev/sdb1) to Linux.

The install proceeded apace.

Then came the exciting bit (I must get a life) the install asked me if I wanted to install a standard pc user, a file server, a print server .. so I chose standard user, and the install proceeded to download 800 odd files from the internet to complete the install.

Finally, it set up grub (or something) so that when I turn my pc on I can choose to start Linux (the default) of Windoze.

So here I am, typing this into a window on my new, shiny Iceweasel browser on my debian powered pc.

Cool, eh?

No more problems (well, very few) with spyware, malware, trojans, viruses.
Must find out about grubs, though!!

James:smile::rolleyes::smile:

Remember I was 6000 miles away and relying heavily on my PC* and it was getting difficult as I couldn't surf the net so I was on my own to fix the problem.Also at first I didn't realise what the problem was.:rolleyes:

*Samsung Q40.

Hopefully have a Dell Inspiron 9 series on it's way to me.:wacko:

Tried to install Linux on Virtual PC but it didn't really work the way I wanted to.I mean is it compatible with all my old programs unlike Vista?

Carwash

Señor Member
hackbike 666 said:
I mean is it compatible with all my old programs unlike Vista?

You know that Linux is a completely different platform, right?

tyred

Legendary Member
Definitely a good idea to use Linux instead of windows. But it won't run Windows software without some sort of Windows emulator.

In answer to the thread title, try a chamois leather and some vinegar to get rid of the smears.

Top Bottom