Cleat adjustment advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
As a recent cleat convertee, I have a few questions for those with more experience.

1/ When I fitted the cleats the tension was a bit high so I slackened them off a couple of turns. Now they pop in and out o.k. but I just wondered if there were any advantages to having them set tighter or slacker?

2/ I fastened the cleats bang in the middle of the shoe 'channel' so my foot on pedal position is the same as when I used the toe clip/cages. I've tried them fully forwards and fully back and tbh can't tell much difference, so which position is best for the most effective power transfer, or is it just a case that you use slightly different muscles there's but no real gain either way?

3/ The instructions 'disappeared'....I suspect the Missus filed them in the bin, but I assume a bit of oil on the springs is all that's needed for maintaining them?

4/ I'd not go back to toe clips now. I've seen the light. When I upgrade my bike (I've sent my wish list to Santa) what are the advantage of spd/sl over the spd pedals I have now?

chris-s

1/ too loose and your shoe may pull out on the upward stroke.

2/ front to rear alignment can make a difference to the way your calf and achillies are worked. I forget the details of the suggested placement. The angle of cleat attachment can have a big effect on your knees if wrong.

3/ a little light oil or spray of gt80 is usually enough. I spray the whole mechanism which helps keep creaks at bay.

4/ generally, the 'pure' road bike ones give a larger pedal area which is supposed to be more comfortable and the shoes can be lighter and stiffer, but they are awkward to walk in off the bike unlike the mtb variants.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I found i used to get calf cramp untill i put the cleat further back on the shoe, otherwise it is just about fine tuning the position to suit your foot so if you have got it set so your foot is where it was before you probably have it about right.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Here's another guide to foot position. This time it's info about how far forward you should have your foot. I often see folks on BSO's (I'm not a bike snob but .......) with their instep above the middle (axle) of the pedal. I feel like telling them that it's not the best foot position but they are probably off to score some drugs or on their way to a dog fight ( I might be a snob
whistling.gif
).

Here's another guide to foot position. This time it's info about how far forward you should have your foot. I often see folks on BSO's (I'm not a bike snob but .......) with their instep above the middle (axle) of the pedal. I feel like telling them that it's not the best foot position but they are probably off to score some drugs or on their way to a dog fight ( I might be a snob
whistling.gif
).

I'm not saying he was right but I saw an interview with a bike coach once who had cleats made so they were under the instep, his theory was it better for hill climbing. However supermarket special riders probably don't have any other reason than thats where their foot slips too naturally.

yello

Those are 3 good articles. Everything you need to know is there. I personally found the bikefitting.com one very clear.

I'm glad we've moved on from the 'ball of foot over pedal spindle' dictate of previous years and now people are discussing the benefits of other cleat positions. It's good to have a starting point, and 'over spindle' provides that, but experimentation and preference are part of the equation too.

On the fore-aft, I have my cleats set back. This moves the ball of my foot slightly ahead of the spindle. The reasons being twofold (neither related to power transfer or efficiency!) and all to do with personal comfort. I found my achilles thanked me for it (a point made in the bikefitting article) and it stopped the 'hot foot' problems I was having.

On the lateral, to bring my feet as close as poss to the cranks, I have my cleats set as far to the outside of the shoe as they will go without my heels actually rubbing on the cranks. This is purely preference and a position I cannot exactly replicate on my winter shoes, due to them being made from thicker stuff!

Top Bottom