Cleats & Cartridges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Couple of questions
Do you torque up cleats in SPD shoes or just do up tight ?
How much PSI will a 16g CO2 cartridge put into a 30mm road tyre roughly ?

I tightened my cleats up once before many moons ago when I used them before switching to FiveTens and MTB and remember them coming loose with repeated clipping in and out so wondered if any people torque them up. The Shimano pedal ES is only on setting 3 and I have a lot of movement of my heel left to right. The pedals are new and tight so assume they will give a little in time and can increase tightness.

Carrying a single cartridge and inflator just for short rides and now a Dynoplug Racer and wondered if 1 is enough to inflate tyre to around 80-90 psi once plugged ?

Thanks in advance

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just tightened up the cleats. Never felt the need to torque them.

si_c

Guru
For cleats I just tighten them up as tight as I can - for the CO2 cartridge in a 30mm tyre I'd say somewhere in the region of 90psi.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

For cleats I just tighten them up as tight as I can - for the CO2 cartridge in a 30mm tyre I'd say somewhere in the region of 90psi.
That’s good to hear. For short rides I was just going to take cartridge, inflator and plug kit.
Longer rides I have an Apidura race pack to get lots of kit in

si_c

Guru
That’s good to hear. For short rides I was just going to take cartridge, inflator and plug kit.
Longer rides I have an Apidura race pack to get lots of kit in

Yeah that should work - although check that the CO2 doesn't react with the sealant in an adverse manner. For a 30c tyre with tubeless I would have thought that 90psi was a tad on the high side, I only inflate my 28c tubed tyres to 90psi and I weigh around 100kg so a handpump might be enough.

Note: edited for clarity.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Yeah that should work - although check that the CO2 doesn't react with the sealant in an adverse manner. For a 30c tyre with tubeless I would have thought that 90psi was a tad on the high side, I only inflate my 28c tubed tyres to 90psi and I weigh around 100kg so a handpump might be enough.

Note: edited for clarity.
They are at 80 psi at present and 85 kg.
Not sure what sealant is in tyres as done by manufacturer when fitting Schwalbe pro ones

si_c

Guru
They are at 80 psi at present and 85 kg.
Not sure what sealant is in tyres as done by manufacturer when fitting Schwalbe pro ones
I'd be cautious then, I've read that sealant can lose it's liquid state when using CO2 due to how cold the gas is when it comes out. It really depends on the sealant.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I'd be cautious then, I've read that sealant can lose it's liquid state when using CO2 due to how cold the gas is when it comes out. It really depends on the sealant.
Checked with Mason and use Stans sealant and if it’s an emergency then ok to use but try not to for the reason you say.
Regarding cleats, I find it a pain setting them. Sat on a stool and checked feet, toes naturally turn in so set cleats to mimic this and tightened slightly but not so much as to dig teeth into shoe......as soon as I test them they begin to move because not tight enough so reset, tightened more and checked again. Seem ok but teeth dug in so difficult to micro adjust now. See on a ride tomorrow

Ajax Bay

Guru
Cleat bolts: use threadlock. Once they're fastened it's not as if they will need to come off till 'end-of-life'.

Top Bottom