Cleats, clips or better pedals??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattsccm

Toes clips and straps are not as efficient especially if you are not wearing traditional stiff shoes with the slotted cleat.
Clipless ( actually that term is so totally out of date as we do actually use a clip and modern riders think clipless means flatties) will work better.,Why not get some of those pedeals that a flat one side and have an SPD fitting on the other. That way you can use cycling shoes or trainers. They are often thought of as a bit daft but do a job for a commuter very well. More to the point they can be cheap as many cheaper road bikes come with them as new and people ditch them. (and I scrounge them) Just a thought

PpPete

Legendary Member
For me one of the best things about changing from clips/straps to M520 SPD was not having to rotate the pedal to get my foot in. A flat one side/clip the other would negate that benefit for me - but that's just me.

And that said I still have clips/straps on one bike, so I can just jump on it for a quick trip to the shops without changing shoes.

Curly_cat

I recently bought the XC cycling shoes from LIDL (£18) and some shimano M520 pedals for £20. Best £38 ever spent on cycling kit IMO.

LIDL have more cycling shoes in from today priced at £16.99. Go and get a pair :smile:

Garz

Squat Member
I took a look at them lidl shoes, they are ok for the price but would suit (IMO)a mtb better than I road bike. If your after a cheap experimental clipless ride then that combo curly mentioned is probably the cheapest you can get really. Definately an improvement over my toeclip/strap pedals for sure.

MajorMantra

Garz said:
I took a look at them lidl shoes, they are ok for the price but would suit (IMO)a mtb better than I road bike.

They're absolutely fine for casual use or commuting. I use Lidl shoes with SPDs for daily around town use on my fixed gear road bikes and Sidis with Speedplays for 'serious' road riding.

Matthew

Top Bottom