Cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moonlight

Cleats...I don't really have a clue about them...my bike has the stock pedals on...which strap around your shoe. They seem a good idea.

What is your opinion of them, and would you recommend them? If yes, then maybe you could suggest a system for me.

I do a 4-12 mile commute (each way), depending where I am and go for 30-40 mile cycles 2-3 times a week, and doing more and more everyday. Also, what is the deal with wearing standard shoes with them?

Thanks in advance.

Moonlight.

yenrod

Basically you have to throw the trainers or whatever you ride in now and get yourself a pair of cycling shoes...

shimano_SH_MP66L_shoe2s.jpg

Then say a pair of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/LargeImage.aspx?ModelID=4733&FileName=4733.jpg

You could go for Shimano SPD's

Models.aspx

BUT they wont allow your foot movement whilst pedalling as much as these so your better of with the Times anyday !

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You can go for recessed cleats in a tourer/mtb shoe which enables you to walk around comfortably off the bike, stiffer road shoes with cleats that make it difficult to walk or flat pedals with plastic non-strap toe clips and ordinary shoes.

I use the first option as I tour and they're stiff enough for my 'racy' rides.

www.cyclexpress.co.uk do some excellent combos of shoes and pedals such as these

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/MT20_Shoes__M520_Pedals_Combo.aspx

byegad

Legendary Member
Standard shoes on a cleated pedal don't really work, you end up with less grip than normal due to the receiver of the cleat beibg higher than the pedal. You can get double sided pedal, palin one side cleats the other.

OP
OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Ok, looks good so far, thanks for your advice. How easy is it to change your pedals over? Would it be possible for me to use my current pedals for communting etc and then swap to the cleats with racey shoes for weekend sprint/endurance runs?

Thanks again.

longers

Legendary Member
Moonlight said:
How easy is it to change your pedals over? Would it be possible for me to use my current pedals for communting etc and then swap to the cleats with racey shoes for weekend sprint/endurance runs?

If you are changing pedals regularly it shouldn't be much of a problem, the trouble comes when they seize (not going to shouldn't happen if you grease the threads and swap them over often). It'd be even easier to get another bike though :tongue:

Another problem is getting a sweat on, swearing, skinning your knuckles and then realising you are trying to turn it the wrong way ;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Moonlight said:
Ok, looks good so far, thanks for your advice. How easy is it to change your pedals over? Would it be possible for me to use my current pedals for communting etc and then swap to the cleats with racey shoes for weekend sprint/endurance runs?

Thanks again.

Given the right spanner it takes as much as 20 seconds per pedal, assuming they're not stuck and you go the right way (the left hand one has a reverse thread - ie, you have to go clockwise to take it off). But unless you do a lot of walking off-bike, once you've got used to cleats, you'll never go back.

OP
OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Hmm...that sounds positive, I like that idea. Ok, cool I'll go shop around and consider. Thanks a lot guys!

roadiewill

Another problem is getting a sweat on, swearing, skinning your knuckles and then realising you are trying to turn it the wrong way :becool:
ohhhhh yes, you'll almost ceratinly do this if its your first time changing pedals

jely

Big T said:
You can get Shimano pedals with an SPD fitting on one side and a normal pedal on the other. They can then be used with either SPD shoes and cleats or normal shoes.

i converted last week and am seriously loving it!! Although i bought these pedals because i was a bit nervous about the whole swapping over and now i wish i'd gone straight for full SPD pedals (instead of the normal on the one side) - only because sometimes when i'm taking off at the lights, the normal side comes up and obviously, i'd prefer it to be on the other side!

Nick1979

jely said:
Although i bought these pedals because i was a bit nervous about the whole swapping over and now i wish i'd gone straight for full SPD pedals

I think a lot of us (including myself!) have made this very mistake :smile: Perhaps we should put a sticky post saying "Don't buy single-sided SPD pedals, you will never use the flat side!!!!".