Cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noddy63

Just watched a YouTube video on multi-release cleats, said they're a good idea if you've not used clipless before. Anyone tried them ?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just watched a YouTube video on multi-release cleats, said they're a good idea if you've not used clipless before. Anyone tried them ?
It's all I use. Some people say they have unclipped accidentally with them but, even with my Spd pedals on the slackest setting I haven't had that problem. I think they have saved me from toppling a couple of times when I have had to stop really quickly and yanked my foot out.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve never used them because I started with the SH51 not knowing any different (what the LBS fitted to new shoes). However, if starting out the SH56 might make sense (pedals probably come with the 51s so they’ll be an extra purchase). Make sure you practice clipping/unclipping ahd have the tension on the loosest, if a double sided pedal, on both sides!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
M324 pedals come with the SH-56 cleats. I've only ever used the SH-51 version and, as I need to pull up quite hard on hills (fixie, can't change down) I don't think I could rely on the 56 cleats.

The 51 cleats have never failed to release on demand, and they tend to let go in a crash too, which is more than I can say for some road pedals. I've been using them for 25 years and they're pretty much perfect.