Click from bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Contrary to my previous posts I've now identified that the clicking sound I hear when I'm putting the cranks under load ie standing up on a climb is coming from the bottom bracket. Nothing to do with the chain at all:blush:

It's not a "creak" but a definite "click"

As it's a new bike I'm due a free tune-up service in 4 weeks so I'm going to take it back into LBS then. Does anyone have any ideas anyway? Could it harm anything if I wait that long? It's a Tiagra BB in an alloy frame

Cheers,

betty swollocks

large member
How frequent is the click and is it a regular - if regular, how regular?
In my experience, a definite click once per revolution of the pedals, is a loose pedal in the crank. Solution: tighten it up a bit (clockwise if r/h crank anti if l/h)

Let us know how you get on.

Other causes could be loose crank on bottom bracket axle, or loose chainring bolt(s)....but these tend (again in my experience) not to be a single regular click.

HMHB you can take the bike back to the shop any time and say there is something wrong can you fix it bit I do not the service that is due in 4 weeks. They should be fine with that and you can do that even after the bike has had its first service up to a year as long as it is coursed be miss use!

02GF74

Über Member
a click in the same place would be bottom brakcet/crank or pedal.

yours has not seen enough usage to wear the bottom bracket so my money is on the crank not being tight enough - if you have splined bottom bracket (i.e. not the square taper or new shimano one piece), then the bolt holding the crank on will have loosened a bit.

softpeadals

Tighten the crank bolts and the pedals. Check the wheel rim is not catching on the brake pad/pads if the click is more frequent than once per crank revolution.
Might even be your shoe catching on the pump if it's mounted on the seat tube.

OP
OP
Halfmanhalfbike

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
After a ride this evening I noticed the noise was only happening when I pushed down on the left crank. Got back and tightened the left hand crank arm bolts (although they were already pretty tight) went back out and the noise was gone :biggrin:

There was a tiny little gasket type thing between the bolts and it seemed to be loose. Cant believe thats all it was

Thanks for the advice folks.

Top Bottom