Clicking BB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astrocan

Veteran
Not long ago I replaced the cartridge bottom bracket with a set of external bearings. Not too many miles on there is a pedaling related clicking noise coming from down below. It sounds like the grease has escaped from the bearings and now at the top of each rotation the balls are dropping down and clicking onto the next one. How can I get some grease in there as the life span is going to be about zilch if it carries on like this. I took the chain off and span the crank and there was no noise, I took the crank out and there is some wear on the non-drive where the tube goes through the bearing. I can see no obvious way of repacking the bearing so any experience gratefully recieved.

Are you certain its the BB not a pedal bearing? Easy to test if you have clip in, unclip one side and pedal with t'other then repeat for the opposite side.
Just as an aside you could wear out external cups quite quickly if the frame isn't faced pre installation as they won't be quite in line which would accentuate wear in certain spots.

HovR

Über Member
Not long ago I replaced the cartridge bottom bracket with a set of external bearings. Not too many miles on there is a pedaling related clicking noise coming from down below. It sounds like the grease has escaped from the bearings and now at the top of each rotation the balls are dropping down and clicking onto the next one. How can I get some grease in there as the life span is going to be about zilch if it carries on like this. I took the chain off and span the crank and there was no noise, I took the crank out and there is some wear on the non-drive where the tube goes through the bearing. I can see no obvious way of repacking the bearing so any experience gratefully recieved.

This (the bold text) isn't possible, as the ball bearings are held in place by the tension between the bearing surface on the spindle, and the BB cups - Not just with the grease! Do you have the tension on the bearings set right?

The adjustable cup should be tight enough so that there is no place in the spindle/cranks what so ever, however the spindle should be easy to turn by hand with the cranks off. Make sure the lock ring is done up tight.

I've had this issue myself, where the lock ring wasn't done up tight enough, allowing the adjustable cup to tighten, which eventually caused a clicking noise once every rotation.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Try tightening the crank bolts too. I went to all the trouble of buying a new BB only to find the problem remained. The nice Aperitif of this parish alerted me to the fact it coiuld be the chainring bolts. It was.

To this day, every single noise I've had on the bike that I thought was the BB has turned out not to be. There doesn't seem a great deal that can go wrong with the Hollowtech style BB.

The hollowtech cups have a good seal so I doubt whether the bearings have lost their original grease. Take the axle out and spin the bearing with your index finger - if should revolve easily and smoothly.

In addition to the above - make sure that the cups have not worked loose as that can cause noise

OP
OP
astrocan

astrocan

Veteran
All good advice gents, thanks.
It turned out to be the pedal bearings. I disregarded this at first because the clicking sound seemed to me to have a lower tone, indicating a larger ball bearing but once all other options had been exhausted a glug of 20/50 and peace reigns once more.
I am also going to check out the refacing issue before long.
Ready for the Dynamo now.

Top Bottom