Clicking collection of caliginous cogs and camshafts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twozeronine

Over the past week or so my bike has developed a clicking sound that's driving me insane trying to work out where it's coming from. I'm sure it's coming from around the pedals/cranks/BB as it only happens at the same place in the pedal stroke (about 9 - 10 o'clock on the drive side), even when I'm out of the saddle, and it stops if I just freewheel. There's usually two clicks, close together.

I've tried:

- Installing new pedals (greased up the threads and tightened them as much as I can)
- Regreasing the threads on the BB and tightening that as much as I can
- Tightening the bolts that secure the left crank
- Tightening the bolts on the crank spider
- Tightening the bolts on the headset
- Tightening the bolt on the seat post clamp
- Tightening the quick release on the wheels
- Tightening the bolt on the saddle rails
- Tightening the bolts on the water bottle holder
- Put new cleats on my shoes, nice and tight

And no, it's nothing simple like the crank hitting the front derailleur cable. ;)

It seems to be better when I only pedal with my left foot; when I only use my right foot there's still noticeable clicking. As soon as I put both feet on the pedals it becomes very noticeable again.

Could it be the BB bearings? I've only done about 600 miles on this bike, so they shouldn't be worn. I haven't ruled it out yet though, as I don't know how to go about doing that. :blush: I did realise today that I overtightened the cap that fits on the left crank (so much so that I stripped the bolt) . Could that have damaged the bearings, as Park Tools website says that this cap is used as a bearing adjustment.

Sorry for the longish post, just hoping someone more knowledgeable can offer some ideas.

OP
OP
T

twozeronine

Well, that's odd. I was riding along (or rather clicking along) last Monday, and all of a sudden the clicking noise started getting quieter and quieter until it almost completely went away. Been riding it for the last week and it's not come back yet, so fingers crossed. It does still click a little bit near the beginning of a ride, but it soon quietens down again.

Any thoughts why that might be? I pretty much narrowed it down to being either the pedals, cranks, or BB. Just wondering if any of these tighten with use, as I can't think of any other reason why it would get better during a ride. I do recall that the problem seemed to have begun after I'd put some new pedals on, but I tightened them up pretty well.

betty swollocks

large member
Check stem bolts clamping the handlebar?
Check that headset has plenty of grease in and is tightened up enough but not too much.
Loose spokes rubbing together? ....check spoke tension.
Wheels clamped tight enough in drop outs?

This linky should be made a sticky.

OP
OP
T

twozeronine

Well, no, it's not completely gone, but now it only clicks a little bit at the beginning of the ride, and then goes away completely after that. Basically if it stays like this I'm not bothered by it. I just don't understand how it could have gotten better, seemingly by itself.

I'm certain it was/is in the drive chain, and believe me I've read almost everything on the internet regarding where clicks can come from. It could have been the pedals, even though I've tried 3 different sets, as I recall that I first noticed it after regreasing the threads on the right pedal. Maybe I'm not tightening them enough (even though I think I am).

Top Bottom