Clicking Left Knee!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
This is something that I'm not really worried about (yet!) because it doesn't cause me any pain or loss of mobility (yet!).

I dislocated my left knee in a skiing accident when I was 22 and now whenever I stand up from full squat, my left knee makes a loud "click" sound (it's been doing that for years).

I am still youngish (33 years old) and I am worried that when I get into my 40's and 50's then it may start to be a problem!

The trouble is that when I was a teenager and in my early twenties, I thought I was bullet-proof and I would do incredibly stupid things on skiis, mountain bikes, rock-climbing, etc. Nowadays I am a little more cautious!

Any thoughts/similar experiences?

Bman

Guru
I had a similar injury in my early twenties/late teens. I thought at the time it was a torn/snapped ligament. In my naivety, I didn’t seek medical advise. I just rested it for a month or so.

I re-injured it again about 3 years ago (I’m 29 now) and the doctor/physio believed it to be a dislocated kneecap.

I also from time to time, get this clicking (also in my left knee) and worry that it could cause arthritis in later life. Luckily it only seems to happen rarely now, and more so in some riding positions.

I will occasionally do the exercises that I was shown by the physio and *try* to favor the left leg on the bike.

Sam Kennedy

When I started doing weights and stuff when I was 13 (17 now) I used to (and still do) get a clicking from my left elbow and left collar bone joint thing. Hopefully someone will be able to know if its anything to be concerned about. ;)

I've got clicking knees, particularly the right one. There are lots of reasons they may click, many of which are treatable. I'm just waiting on the first x-rays of mine to see what the cause of the clicking and pain is.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My knee clicks sometimes. I can stop it by fully straightening the leg then resuming pedalling. Also an old ski injury.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Crackle said:
I've got clicking knees, particularly the right one. There are lots of reasons they may click, many of which are treatable. I'm just waiting on the first x-rays of mine to see what the cause of the clicking and pain is.

If you don't mind me asking, when did the clicking start, when did it become a problem for you and how old are you?

XmisterIS said:
If you don't mind me asking, when did the clicking start, when did it become a problem for you and how old are you?

Not so easy to answer for two reasons. One is I seemed to have had dodgy knees since about 11 and two is because of 1, I've tended to ignore it slightly, until now when it constantly aches.

If I had to put a finger on it I'd say around the age of 30 was when it began to stiffen and click. I remember finishing a tour, heading back on the train leg out straight as it was the least achy position.

A doctor friend confidently told me he knew what it might be causing the click and then proceeded to examine it. He looked me in the eye and said it's not x or y (can't remember what they were), that's just wear. So I suspect he's right. I'm 46 now but I've basically needed to look after them since 30ish. I suspect I'll need to increase the nursing a bit more now. I certainly don't push higher gears on the bike anymore.

Top Bottom