Clicking like noise from rear wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotty1991

I have a new rear wheel at first it was fine for about 3 miles after that a clicking type of noise was coming from the back wheel. It clicks when i am riding the bike but if i am off it and rotate the pedals i can't hear it. If it is a spoke how do i know which one and if i tighten it wont that start trueing a wheel to one side?

OP
OP
Scotty1991

Scotty1991

After going out again today, had no noise for 5-10 mins then it started again like a ticking noise. i put all my weight on my front wheel and it doesn't tick i then sit on the seat and the ticking starts from the rear wheel, i don't have a clue what it is.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
There are numerous possibilities. If there is one click per rotation, perhaps the rear wheel is rubbing on something. It will help you spot the frequency on a ride by e.g. putting a yellow sticky tape you can see on a front spoke.

Given it is a new wheel have you ensured a) it is clamped down straight, nice and tight within the rear dropouts, b) rim is centred within the frame, c) the rim is true and not closer than 2mm from either brake block, d) no appreciable side movement when you push the rim towards the brake block?

Don't know what wheel you have, but ime it is not uncommon to find cheaper cup and cone hubs on brand new wheels badly adjusted.

lpretro1

Not necessarily anything to do with wheel - check for silly things like FD cable sticking out and you catch it with your foot. Could be in the pedal - could even be stem bolts need clean and regrease.

Top Bottom