Clicking noise near bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silva

Über Member
Fixed gear, after mounting a new cog and chain, that first ran silently, clicking noise started a week after. About the pedaling frequency. When I stand up when pedaling, its loudness decreases and sometimes even back completely silent.
Trying explanations - could it be that when pedaling standing and thus from more forward, that the clock position of the pushes changes and other, less worn chainring teeth engage?

it may not be drivetrain related, if the noise isn't present when standing , I would be checking my saddle first and maybe stem
https://jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

Brooks

I had a clicking noise from the bottom bracket region yesterday whilst out on a ride. I checked the crank arms but no play there? Just couldn't work it out until today, turns out the bolt holding the kick stand was a bit loose. Tightened that up and went out round the block and no more clicking!

Thedane

Regular
As it has been said above the noise may not be from where you think it is. I recently had a clicking noise from what I thought was the bottom bracket. Turned out to be the headset so it is sometimes a matter of eliminating each area until you are sure where the noise is coming from.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BB non drive locking cup might not be tight, or drive side cup (assuming square taper). Shoe laces is another, pedals, bars, stem, seatpost, seatpost clamp, seat clamp, chain too tight (although would sound like a tractor).

Could be anything - you'll need to eliminate it one by one.

Mattk50

MattK50
As it has been said above the noise may not be from where you think it is. I recently had a clicking noise from what I thought was the bottom bracket. Turned out to be the headset so it is sometimes a matter of eliminating each area until you are sure where the noise is coming from.
I have this problem in my car. For a week I have been hearing an inside rattling noise coming somewhere from the nearside driving me nuts. This morning I found it to be my sunglasses in the overhead compartment, doh! Sorry I digressed!

DRM

Guru
As above posts to check, but I also had a similar noise which turned out to be the seat post, a clean up & fresh copper slip cured it

Top Bottom