clicking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SWSteve

Guru
So, I was out today and at some point my rear wheel started clicking. I carried on riding as it was only when in the largest gear on the cassette, and only seemed to be when on the smallest chain-ring. I've just had a good look and have put it down to one spoke hitting the inside of the rear derailleur. What do I have to do to stop this...it's infuriating when climbing. Is it a case of a spoke that needs to be tightened, or should I be altering the derailleur?

I would post a picture, but I cannot see a difference in the spokes

rb58

Enigma
I don't know the answer here without pictures or more details, but I'd say that if you have a spoke touching your rear derailler, that's a serious problem which could be dangerous and I wouldn't be riding the bike until it was sorted.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
^^^^^^ this, get it looked at by an lbs, better that than have it fail at 30 and donate skin to Tarmac.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@ItsSteveLovell
As rb58 has said, it sounds like the derailleur is hitting the spokes = very dangerous.
I could be one of a few things. Did you hit the derailleur or drop the bike? If so it could have bent either the derailleur or the hanger.
Or it could be simply that it needs adjusting.
In anycase. If you are not confident of fixing/correcting yourself. Take it down the bike shop.
In the mean time keep it out of the largest cassette sprocket.

OP
OP
S

SWSteve

Guru
@ItsSteveLovell
As rb58 has said, it sounds like the derailleur is hitting the spokes = very dangerous.
I could be one of a few things. Did you hit the derailleur or drop the bike? If so it could have bent either the derailleur or the hanger.
Or it could be simply that it needs adjusting.
In anycase. If you are not confident of fixing/correcting yourself. Take it down the bike shop.
In the mean time keep it out of the largest cassette sprocket.

I did have an off...but I thought it was like it before that, I may have forgotten. The hanger is the bit with the two smaller cogs which take up the slack in the chain - is that right? As if so that is what is hitting the spoke.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I did have an off...but I thought it was like it before that, I may have forgotten. The hanger is the bit with the two smaller cogs which take up the slack in the chain - is that right? As if so that is what is hitting the spoke.

No that's the derailleur. The hanger is the piece of metal that holds the derailleur to the bike.

rb58

Enigma
Be good to know what they say, but I doubt the problem is with a spoke. Sounds more like the derailler, or the hanger. God luck!

OP
OP
S

SWSteve

Guru
Took it to shop. Looked at the deraileur and they said it's a little twisted. A turn on a screw, I guess the limit screw as mentioned by @steve52, and it seemed to be sorted. May need to upgrade, but should be fine for now

Top Bottom