Clicking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there
I’m looking for a bit of advice. I have a Specialized Sirrus Sport. Sometimes when I’m pedalling there is a “clicking” noise from the front crankset (I think that’s what is called) underneath the pedals – would anyone have any idea what this could be?
Thanks in advance for your help.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Almost anything. Even cracked saddles can appear to be causing sounds coming from the bottom bracket at first. Can you narrow it down? Does it happen when simply turning the pedals while stood next to the bike or do you have to be riding it? Does it change if you stand? (beware and don't do it anywhere busy, as pedals might shear off if it was a failed axle!) Is it at a certain point in pedal revolution? And so on... plenty of guides to hunting creaks online, including http://SheldonBrown.com/creaks.html

steve50

Disenchanted Member
BB? Check to see if the BB is tightened up properly, check the crank arms are tightened properly. make sure the chain isn't catching the front mech. with the bike stationary, hold your brakes tight and with one foot press down firmly on the pedal see if you can make it click, if it does it is the bottom bearing.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
BB? Check to see if the BB is tightened up properly, check the crank arms are tightened properly. make sure the chain isn't catching the front mech. with the bike stationary, hold your brakes tight and with one foot press down firmly on the pedal see if you can make it click, if it does it is the bottom bearing.

I presume you mean bottom bracket when you say BB?

I had that, I was convinced it was coming from the area near the BB or cranks. Turned out it was the rear QR (Quick Release) Skewer. Just needed loosening and reseating. As others have said, it could be many things. I'd suggest you start with the easy/trivial things first if only to eliminate them from the list of suspects.

flyingfish

I had a creaky pedal reflector on my Claude Butler

gavintc

Guru
I recently took my bike to the LBS to sort out a BB noise. He quickly diagnosed it as a worn headset. It is quite remarkable how noise is transmitted.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
The wife had a click on her Trek hybrid. Still clicked when I rode it, so ruled out wife clicking.
As the bike was only a couple of weeks old I took it back to the shop.
Turned out the pedals needed tightening.

Top Bottom